Thursday, August 17, 2017

Simple Ribbed Scarf Pattern


Yesterday I completed the second knitted knocker. Today I will block them. I'm very pleased with the finished product. I think whoever receives these  will enjoy them. They're practical, soft, and the colors are pleasant. I love pastels. There is enough yarn leftover to make another pair. I watched the Knitted Knockers video on line, and the woman in charge said that they are distributing a thousand sets of these per month! It's nice to know that they are being used and appreciated. I think they make a really nice gift for the breast cancer patients, too. (Especially if they don't knit.) I remember how much I appreciated the cards and gifts I received after having my hips replaced. It feels like an excellent cause to me.


Today I started working on a ribbed scarf. It's a birthday present for a close friend of mine in New York. He picked out the yarn, which is very bright and colorful. I decided to include the pattern in today's blog post. It's simple, but beautiful. I like uncomplicated patterns on high end yarn. To stay in budget, I have to find the wool on clearance.

Simple Ribbed Scarf

2 to 3 100 gram skeins of worsted weight yarn (I'm using Wildwood Yarns Baby Alpaca Merino Bamboo)

1 pair of size 11 needles ( I use vintage straight needles. Circulars would also work. You would still knit flat.)

I didn't set a gauge, because this yarn is thick and thin. You can make the width to your taste. I used larger needles than the sleeve of the yarn suggested. This way the scarf will be looser, softer, and have bigger stitches.  It's a different look. I think it's kind of Vogue.

Cast on 44 stitches with a long tail cast on.  Knit two and purl two all the way down the row. Turn and continue to knit in pattern until the scarf reaches your desired length. Note: If you want a border, you can knit a few rows  in garter stitch. You would need to mirror that for two rows before  binding off. I like the look of just ribbing, and this scarf is for a man, so I left it plain.

Bind off in pattern. Weave in the ends. Block and enjoy!

 One thing I notice about non knitters is that they LOVE the look of ribbing! I get so many compliments from people on the hand knits that I wear that have a ribbed cuff. So often my friends will point to the stitch and tell me, "I like that one." I always take note of it, because it's so simple. It does have a distinct and beautiful look. People recognize it. They know if from their sweaters, socks, and gloves. I just love it. How about you?        

4 comments:

  1. I just looked at google images and yes I like ribbing too. Thankyou for the pattern as it is something I could manage as a new knitter. Really looking forward to seeing your finished product.
    Love the colours you used on the second knocker. Such a great cause and I know it will give the receiver a great feeling knowing that people care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, I try to publish patterns that are good for new knitters. This is a quick one, too. I'm already halfway done with this one. On smaller needles, it takes much longer. I hope to see a photo of yours.

      Delete
  2. Lovely scarf! The photo made me smile-that sweet doggie taking a snooze by the door! Is (s)he smiling in his(her)sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anita. She looks so relaxed. When I try to take photos of her when she is awake, she tenses. I love this one. She looks so peaceful and sweet. Thank you for the compliment on the scarf. I am excited to give it to my friend. He has great taste. He chose the yarn...

    ReplyDelete