Thursday, October 19, 2017

Apple Crisp Recipe


I first tasted this delicious vintage dessert when I was nine years old. I was visiting my neighbor, Mrs. Hutchinson, who lived up the street from us on Barneson Avenue.  She was a marvelous cook, gardener, and baker. She helped me write out the recipe on a recipe card. After that, she sent me home with a bag of frozen, peeled, and sliced Pippin apples. She was so nice that way. I have been making it for forty-four years. It's simple, delicious, and quick. Often I will throw this together, instead of baking an apple pie. I hope you enjoy it.

Apple Crisp

Filling 

4-6 Granny Smith or Pippin apples
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup of water

------------------------------------


Topping
1 cup of sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter ( 1 cube)

Sprinkle spices over and through the apples. Cream together topping ingredients. Cover with topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 mins.

Mrs. Hutchinson always served this with frozen Cool Whip. That was very popular in those days. I loved it as a child. It's also terrific with a side of vanilla ice cream or gelato, and a steaming  hot cup of coffee.


Good news. I finished the socks. They are on their way to Nil's house. I had trouble with them yesterday. I had to rip back about twenty rows. A small piece of the yarn wasn't spun, and it looked horrible. I hadn't really examined it closely, because I was chatting at a knitting group. Yesterday my count got off while working on the toe at another group.  I just can't seem to knit well when doing decreases on double pointed needles in a group setting. I finished them today, while sitting out on the porch. The sparrows were splashing happily in the birdbath. Lula has been visiting. She is such a positive force! This is how she looks after a run alongside my bicycle. She likes to stop by the cottage after our exercise session each morning. She gulps down some water and a peanut butter dog biscuit. See you tomorrow...

.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. So easy and sounds delicious especially with ice cream on the side.
    Love Nil’s socks. Someone is going to have very warm feet come winter. Enjoy Nil.
    Have a great weekend Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie, I bet your kids will love this recipe. I'm glad you like Nil's socks. Yes, they are very warm, wool and nylon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe, Stephenie. I plan to buy apples this weekend and will try this.
    I can't wait until I receive the socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, apples are in season. I hope you can find some on sale. The socks should arrive on Monday.

      Delete
  4. I love apple desserts and think apples and cinnamon are a match made in heaven! I make an apple crumble here which has powdered milk in the crumbly mixture that goes on top. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Your recipe sounds a lot like this one. I love apple desserts, too. It's that time of year now...

      Delete