Friday, November 17, 2017

Using the Ingredients You Have at Home When Cooking



This afternoon I decided to make a meatless lasagna. I found an old recipe in one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks.  I first tasted this at a yoga ashram in the Berkshires, half a lifetime ago. The yoga center was called Kripalu. They had fabulous food!

I went through my cupboards to be sure that I had all of the ingredients. I was happy to discover that I had everything required, except  the ricotta (or cottage) cheese. It's always nice to cook from your stockpile.

I quickly checked the bus schedule, and decided to hop on the 12:19. I rode my beach cruiser  to the bus stop, and sat and  knit my sock while waiting on the bench. When the bus arrived, I wasn't able to move the bike rack into the loading position. It was rigidly stuck  into the upward angle. The driver told me it was broken. I asked her if I could lock my bicycle to the bench and leave it there. She agreed. I noticed that she was very pretty, which is unusual for a bus driver in this area.

As I paid my fare she looked at me thoughtfully and commented, "You remind me of Katherine Hepburn."  I was shocked and flattered. "I bet people tell you that a lot," she added. I thanked her and admitted that a couple of people had noticed a resemblance when I was much younger, in my early twenties. Little did she know that she made my day! I thought it was interesting, because I have been working on my singing and acting every night, in preparation for an upcoming performance. It's funny how what we do changes our aura.

I went to the grocery store, took the bus home, and was relieved to find my bike still waiting for me at the bus stop. I am always afraid of it getting stolen. I was glad that I had my bike lock with me. Only an hour had passed. I put on my helmet, coiled the lock back into position, clicked it into place,  and sped home.

The lasagna came out really well. This sauce doesn't have a whole cube of butter in it, like my other recipe. I figured with the pasta and cheese, this was much healthier. It has a hot and spicy flavor. It will be nice to eat the leftovers next week. The flavors will mingle and develop. I hope you enjoy your weekend.



Thank you for your comments. They make blogging fun and interesting. If the articles here help you, please share them.       

6 comments:

  1. Your lasagne sounds scrumptious and healthy. A great feeling being able to make a good dish of wholesome goodness from your pantry. I agree stockpiling is wonderful.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kylie. It's a tasty meatless version..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine Hepburn-yes, I see it in your photos! I am often told I resemble Sigourney Weaver. The last time was last week by the Customs agent at Heathrow. I hope you let us know about the upcoming performance. Stocking a pantry is one of the best ways to save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, I love having a well stocked pantry. Sigourney Weaver is a beauty. What a nice compliment. Would love to see a photo of you. The performance was an open mic, (last night.) There are more in the works.

      Delete
  4. I looked up Katherine Hepburn on Google images and yes I see the resemblance.
    I find it so satisfying when I can make males using what I already have in the stockpile. Your lasagna sounds delicious.
    I'd love to hear about your performance, hope you will do a post once it's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, She was a marvelous actress. I know what you mean about the stockpile. I feel the same way. The performance was a lot of fun. I will post about it next week. Thanks!

      Delete