Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Exciting News!



Some of you who follow my blog know that I have a soft spot for a very sweet Labradoodle named Lula. Over the summer I had been giving her a run each morning alongside my bike on the Walkydog. It gave me and the dog an excellent  cardiovascular workout, and it helped  my neighbor. They have moved recently, and they no longer have a fenced yard for Lula. She would have had to be tied, which wouldn't work. I just made arrangements with her "aunt" to pick her up on Saturday. She will be moving into our pink cottage with all of her things. I am thrilled.

She is a very intelligent and sensitive dog. I noticed that when I would tell my friend about things that Lula had done, (that she shouldn't have,) she would listen very intently, like a person. She was really processing the information. It was just wild. Such a mind she has! She really cares what you think. I'm a huge dog lover, but I've never encountered a dog who listens to my conversations with others with the level of perception that she has. She reminds me of a Broadway conductor. Really. It's uncanny.


Dogs certainly make life more fun and exciting, especially when you are single. Lana has been as sweet as ever, but it is a challenge for us with her dermatitis. I have been bathing her with the medicated shampoo every other day, and may switch to doing it every day. It's very sad when dogs get older. It hurts her for me to lift her, and she yelps in pain. I am teaching her to put her paws on the edge of the tub, so that I can give her a boost from her back legs. That way she has control. She is on prednisone, which seems to have really helped her. Her appetite has increased, and she's eating well. She even put on some weight, which she really needed to do. I think having a young dog as a sidekick will really give her a boost. They get along well, so it will be an easy transition. (I hope!) We'll see. Lulu has spent a lot of time here, so that will help.

I am nearly done with knitting the shawl. I just have ten more rows to go. The border is a very pretty lace pattern. This afternoon I realized that I probably don't have enough yarn in the contrasting color, so I picked up one more skein  at Creative Ewe. It's really soft and warm. I am so pleased with how the colors look together. I'm learning that less is more in knitting. I love the simpler patterns with just a bit of an accent. I don't want too much going on at once. This pattern has been a very enjoyable knit. It's listed as easy, but I had to rip it back a few times. It was worth it to keep the details exact. It makes a glamorous wrap, too. Shawls are so versatile.

Thank you for your comments. I am always so happy to receive them. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.  Thank you.

14 comments:

  1. Lula and yourself will have many a happy times ahead, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simple Living. I am so looking forward to her arrival.

      Delete
  2. Such great news about Lula's homecoming..... She is one lucky dog!
    It will be great for all three of you.
    It can be challenging and very emotional caring for the old ones. I truly appreciate how well you care for your creatures. Lula has a great life ahead of her.

    Thanks for mentioning the yarn sale. I treated myself to some Arucania Nuble [among other treasures!] for the oaklet shawl as my stash yarn sampling wasn't providing enough drape...although one of then is working out to be a good rustic piece. I just won't add such an elaborate edging to it. It's nice to have a special project to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great, Jill! What else did you get? How exciting...

      Delete
  3. I'm happy that Lana has a new friend. It's great that you got to keep her when the previous owner couldn't keep her at their new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. She is a beautiful and sweet girl. I can't wait to take her hiking again.

      Delete
  4. congratulations on your 'arrangement' with Lula, am sure both dogs will be very happy! it would be such a hard decision to make, hate having to give them up myself ( had to do it twice with dogs)
    i remember when my B.B. had bad skin & my previous dog before her, it was from the dry foods i was feeding them, there are some nasty things in some of those premixes plus i was washing them once a week, when i had the vet look at them he asked me why was i washing them so much? to keep them clean i said; he turned around & told me that i was doing more harm than good & also told me to stop feeding dry, animals don't wash themselves when out in the wild & the soaps & detergents are very bad for their skin, (even the medical lot) all it does is dry their skin out, dogs are meant to be oily (as are most animals) so the only time they got washed after that was if they were extremely muddy & then usually only with the hose. their skin cleared up on it's own, i started feeding raw meats & brisket bones mostly.
    your shawl sounds lovely, can't wait to see it; you gave your socks away? i would love to do that too but am still getting the kinks out of the sock knitting yet! lol! that yarn sounds lovely, look forward to watching your cardigans grow.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Selina. Yes, I sent out two pair of socks as gifts. Glad that your your dogs had good results with that diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful news about Lula. She has a sweet face! We always had Scotties when I was growing up-my dad loves Scotties above all dogs. He says there must be a God because how else can you explain sunrises, grandsons and Scottie Dogs! His last Scottie, Lester, also had a skin condition which responded to some type of tar based liquid medicine. I cannot remember the name of it (it was yellow, viscous and had a very distinct smell), but my dad called it "Catfish Hunter's" because Catfish Hunter's picture was on the advertisement. Dad would call Lester over to him every evening for his "Catfish Hunter Time". Lester loved it mostly because he would have tummy and back rubs during the application. The memory still makes me smile. Your knitting sounds lovely and I am eager to see the finished shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. That's interesting about the skin treatment. The shawl is coming along nicely. I am working on the last ten rows of the lace border. I love how lace looks against stockinette.

      Delete
  7. I would love another dog, they're just the best companions and its unconditional love. I'm sure they are going to be great friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. Yes, they get on well. They look really cute together, too. Just a couple more days...I am so excited!

      Delete
  8. How wonderful for you, Lula and Lana too. We've recently done some dog sitting and our elderly Labrador, Sir Steve, has really enjoyed the company of younger dogs; at times playing like he was 5years younger. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Meg. I do really think it helps the older dogs to be around the youthful exuberance of a puppy. I think they absorb the healthy vibes.

      Delete