Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Getting Organized

 


Today I went to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles, for those of you not in America.)  I needed to update the registration on the car that belonged to my dad before he died.  I didn't realize that it had expired.  He had paid it the month that he died, and then time just flew by with Covid.  The DMV was closed when I first tried to fix the issue.  I wasn't able to resolve it online.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I had to write them a check for $1,300.00 to pay for the back fees.  My brother had transferred the title to me, but because of a glitch, it was showing up in the computer as still belonging to the trust.  An expensive lesson learned.  


I switched my health insurance up to the mountains, because it is one hundred dollars cheaper each month that way.  I also changed my address on my car registration and driver's license.  I hadn't been able to do part of that online, either.  What a relief to have it all completed.  My car passed the smog test, so that was another item ticked off of the list.

I was impressed with the new equipment at the DMV.  They have booths for you to punch in your information for any changes or updates to your license.  It's very efficient and easy to use.  I already had gotten a Real i.d.  Those are needed for travel in the US in 2023.  

I finished my socks.  They fit perfectly, and I have been getting a lot of use out of them.  I am working on another pair with Noro sock yarn.  The photo at the top is of my friend Patrick and I.  I went to see him in the Broadway touring company of The Prom.  He had a huge role, and was marvelous.  I was so proud of him.  We enjoyed catching up over lunch outside at The Music Center.  We shared a delicious piece of chocolate cake for dessert.  

How about you?  What's new and exciting?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the glitch with the car registration and having to pay the back fees! Ouch! But it's done now and you can put it behind you.
    Lovely socks and they'll be nice and warm for the winter.
    You look lovely in the photo with your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. It was worth it. Am already getting lots of use out of the socks. They are quality wool, and very warm.

      Delete
  2. We do moan about our NHS but to think of having to pay eye watering amounts in health insurance each month would scare me silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I guess I am used to it. I have been paying my own health insurance for decades, having been self-employed.

      Delete
  3. Ouch! What a lot of money to pay in one go. And why is everything so complicated these days when going online should make things easier 😳 Well done for getting to grips with everything.
    A great photo of you and your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was, PP, but I got an excellent price on the car. It's very reliable and economical. I find it can take far longer to do things online, but am learning to be patient and take the time to finish. I love this photo, too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that the digital age has brought more regulations, and difficulties maintaining the rules online. It was interesting to see that your car had to be suitable for smog, we don't have that here in New Zealand. But, we do have to have road safe vehicles, and the rules are quite strict. My sister lives in Queensland, Australia, and I was shocked at how lax their car safety requirements are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, California smog regulations are very strong, ratnamurti. I ride my bike and walk as much as possible.

      Delete