Thursday, March 16, 2017

How Emotions Color Your Dancing

A few weeks ago, an adult dancer in the ballet class I take came up to me and said, "I love watching you dance. You look so happy." I laughed and thanked her. I was so surprised and flattered at her compliment. "That's because I couldn't dance for a year" I admitted. "I am really happy to be dancing again. I thought I never would." It really struck me, though. I hadn't realized that anyone was watching me.  At age 52, I am definitely probably the oldest one there, and I no longer have the extensions or the turnout that I had when I was younger. It made me realize, though, that the emotions are the most important ingredient in dancing. They come through your face, your expression, your port de bras, and your musicality.

Most of us began dancing after seeing an exciting performance. Live theater gives you that feeling of  passion, thrill, and joy. There is nothing like being on stage. When you feel that as an artist, the audience will feel it, too. Your hearts will connect.

When we are upbeat, positive, and focused, we have a spring in our step. This gives us a youthfulness and a vitality, regardless of our age. If a dancer is bored or depressed, their body language changes immensely. Everything droops and drops. We are like flowers that need to stretch upward to the sun. The same thing goes for negative emotions like anger. Ask any dancer, if you are angry or upset, your pirouettes go out the window. You need to be relaxed, confident, and centered to turn.

After I had my hips replaced, I didn't think I would ever dance again. I have had to alter the way I work, exchanging things that I no longer can do for artistry, musicality, and emotional expression. What's interesting is that it still gives me the same rush of energy and excitement that it did when I was technically proficient. I feel kind of like a three legged dog running on the beach. I am just happy to be there. I don't compare myself to others, or to how I used to be. I work with what I have, and refocus on living my life's purpose. Every dancer needs to dance. It's such a part of our identity. When we let go of expectations, we can still fly.    

No comments:

Post a Comment