Thursday, October 14, 2021

A New Vinyl Fence

 


Yesterday I had a new white fence put up at the cottage.  The old one was sagging, the paint had chipped, and looking at it completely depressed me.  I think it had been there since the 1940's.  It was so distressed and beyond repair.  I settled on a ranch style vinyl fence.  I had some mesh wire put on the inside to keep Lula in, and deter  any coyotes or other animals. 

 After about  an hour, the two workers accidentally hit a pipe and broke it.  I showed them where the water shut off was, and they turned it off and repaired the pipe.  They had the glue, replacement PVC pipe and tools in their truck.  It happens fairly often, from what they told me.

I don't care for solid vinyl fencing because it looks too plastic to me, but I do like the design that I chose.  I studied other choices around Santa Clarita before deciding.   For some reason with three slats it almost looks like wood.  Vinyl doesn't chip, and it should last a lifetime.  I love that I can hose it off to clean it;  it's so convenient.  They  added a small gate and now Lula  has a dog run in the driveway.  She doesn't understand the set up, and stares at me through the mesh, confused.  She sits sideways, and doesn't even watch the street, she is completely fixated on me.   I thought she would act like a guard dog,  but she just looks wistfully at me, as I rock in my glider. on the porch.  "Can I come in?" her expression says,   I think she thinks she's being punished.  As always, she adapts.  When she used to lean at my side  she would become covered with mulch.  I would have to vacuum each time she came back  inside the house.   That's not my idea of relaxation.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Posts may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


6 comments:

  1. I'm all for easy to take care of things at our time of life. I doubt that anyone would even notice that it isn't wood. Will you plant a flower border next to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, I am planting bulbs in front of it. I have lots of irises, and will add tulips and daffodils, as well.

      Delete
  2. Your new fence sounds nice! I'm all for easy maintenance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new fencing sounds lovely. I agree about the look of solid vinyl fencing. It is very popular here. We replaced our wooden fencing with stucco walls 15 years ago. It was a pricy decision, but those walls will outlast the house I am sure. Poor Lula-I hope you let her "out of jail" once in a while :) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, The stucco walls sound great. Lula is getting used to the dog run. She is only in there for about five minutes at a time. She gets daily walks, lots of care, and a healthy diet. She's very happy.

      Delete