Thursday, October 21, 2021

Picking Persimmons

 My Hachiya persimmon tree has provided an amazing harvest this year.  For the last few years, I was afraid the tree had died.  During the last several seasons, it didn't produce.  I'm not sure why, since it's a mature tree.   I fed it some compost tea and straw mulch, and what a difference!  The whole tree came back to life.  I have picked at least 150 persimmons so far...it's  a thrill. They are lined up in long rows on the counter, the windowsill, the dryer and the kitchen table.   I love growing fruit; it's so rewarding.

I gave some to my neighbors, and dropped off a bag on the porch of  the woman who runs our co-op in Wrightwood.  She uses them to make persimmon cookies.  I will leave a bag in the mailbox for my mail lady.  She is always so appreciative of homegrown fruit.  I also gave some to the lady that sells produce at our local fruitstand.  Her eyes lit up and she told me that she loves persimmons.  I will take her some more tomorrow.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Posts may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

13 comments:

  1. That is so kind of you to share your persimmons, Stephenie. I am sure everyone is very grateful to receive some. They are such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. Yes, for those who love persimmons, they are very special. They are so expensive in the stores.

      Delete
  2. I bet its the loving care you've given it. All living things need to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cherie. Also the nutrients from the soil. The straw mulch makes such a difference for some reason...

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to make persimmon jelly. I don't typically eat jelly, but persimmons are sooo beautiful! That's so generous of you to share and how rewarding when truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is rewarding, LL. Thanks. I am so thrilled that this tree came back to life. I was really concerned that it wouldn't survive the last drought.

      Delete
  4. Maybe our very warm spring helped your tree? That and the extra nutrients and love. I have a friend who makes dried persimmons and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds delicious, Anita. These are so juicy and full of flavor. The birds don't eat them because of the tannic acid. They are easy to grow. I love them.

      Delete
  5. Success! Mulch and compost can make such a difference to a tree. I must remember to apply some to my quince tree. Sharing produce is immensely satisfying. It makes everybody happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, Christina. I am always amazed at the miraculous effect of compost. It motivates me to save each and every produce scrap and yard clipping.

      Delete
  6. How very kind to share your fruit. I've never eaten persimmon, Stephenie, is it a citrus kind of fruit? 150 is quite a bumper crop, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PP. No, they are not citrus. I think they originated in Japan; I'm not sure. They are very sweet and taste tropical to me. They also make delicious cakes and cookies. My mom used to make persimmon pudding, which is kind of like a Christmas plum pudding. She boiled it in a coffee can, and served it with homemade hard sauce. It was a special yearly treat, and my dad's friend brought her a case of persimmons each year. (from forty miles away...he was a cattle rancher.)

      Delete
  7. It's so lovely to share. When I had a big vegie garden, I loved giving vegetables (and I had fruit trees too) to friends and family

    ReplyDelete