Sunday, June 11, 2023

Hollyhocks, Roses, and a Green California Front Garden

 


With the change in weather we've been having, our gardens are lush and green!  Normally it is very hot and dry this time of year.  Right now, the weather reminds me of London or Alaska.  The roses love it.  If you zoom in on this photo, you can see the baby Algerian Tangerines on that tree on the left.


I was afraid that this rosebush had died last year, but it came back with a vengeance!  It's very fragrant and healthy.  The mulch seems to do an excellent job of slowly feeding everything.  I did notice some small snails out there, crunching under my hiking boots, this morning, though.  I plan to collect and remove them all this afternoon.  You always have to keep an eye on your plants and protect them.


The scarlet Hollyhocks are still bright and beautiful.  They are my favorite old fashioned flower.  They are so tall and colorful.   People stop and gaze at them when they walk by the house.  The vinyl fence has been an excellent investment, too.   It is such a relief not to have to paint it or worry about termites.  I may have the gates replaced, too.  My neighbor gave it to me. 

How is your garden growing?  I just finished the last of the ripe, orange apricots.  They were so sweet and juicy.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. Your hollyhocks are always beautiful. I need to plant some for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. I love them. They come back every year.

      Delete
  2. It looks absolutely beautiful, STeph. What a gorgeous garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. The weather has been ideal for flowers and fruit.

      Delete
  3. That rose bush is stunning! I'm so glad it revived! Lovely hollyhocks, too! I planted some, last year, but, they didn't grow. My gardener said that the ones he planted grew well. My garden is growing well for the most part. I'm harvesting blueberries now and waiting for the peaches to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Bless. Roses grow really well here. The blueberries and peaches you are harvesting sound delicious.

      Delete
  4. Your yard looks lovely. I don't grow roses, but no one appreciates other people's roses more than me. Especially the fragrant varieties. Our yard is also doing very well this year. I still have some pansies in pots which is really unusual for this time of year. The lavender is spectacular-the flowers have not opened completely yet but the aroma is really strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pick my rose bushes based on fragrance, Anita. Those pink ones have a heavenly scent. I just planted pink jasmine for their perfume, too. Love that lavender that you grow...I put in a small bush at the side of my driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is beautiful just now. It is a shame you can't share the scent but I can imagine it very well. Our roses are also very fragrant and I love walking past. The mock orange is starting to bloom, another heavenly scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love mock orange, Christina. Fragrance adds such dimension to a garden and pleases the senses. There are five citrus trees on this property. They smell heavenly when they're in bloom.

      Delete
  7. Your garden looks lovely, Stephenie. I have replaced many of my plants now, and they are just beginning to flower. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. How exciting. A lot of the plants are coming back from one or two years ago. I plan to add some rich soil and compost to help them revive.

      Delete
  8. Hollyhocks are a lovely flower.
    That pink rose looks lovely too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful garden with trees and flowers. Its a Joy. But is a daily job too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do need regular attention, J.S. It's so worth it, though.

      Delete
  10. They are, Lowcarb. I just love their old fashioned charm. It's getting hot here, and they both need water!

    ReplyDelete