Saturday, May 27, 2023

Baby Fruit and an Owl

 

The other day I was pleased to see that my cherry and apple trees are overflowing with small, green fruit!  All of the rain and snow that we received has really helped the gardens.  The bees have been buzzing around the citrus blossoms, doing a thorough and complete job of pollinating.  I will have a bumper crop of Meyer Lemons this year.  It's a satisfying feeling to see your future food stored in a thriving backyard orchard.

It's amazing how fast the fruit develops.  Soon the apricots will also be ready to harvest.  It's a dance to let the sun sweeten them before any observant wildlife decides to visit for a feast.  I will probably line them up on my kitchen counter soon, and let them ripen there.

My neighbor discovered a family of owls nesting in a Eucalyptus tree on our street.  They are such magnificent creatures.  Here is a photo she snapped of the male.  Look at those eyes!  They blend in very closely with the branches and leaves on the tree.  It can be very difficult to spot them.  I love the sound they make at night, when we are sleeping.

How is your garden growing?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

10 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see fruit forming and ripening in the trees in the garden, isn't it? I'm picking blueberries now, and the peaches will be ready soon! How wonderful to have a family of owls nesting nearby! They'll help keep the little critters from eating your fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Bless. I saw a raven go after a rabbit the other day. My dog stopped the pounce.

      Delete
  2. I am starting to harvest blueberries too! I had to replace the blueberry bush last spring because the old one became root bound and did not thrive. I have a set of raspberry canes in a pot next to the blueberry bush pot and it is full of baby raspberries. I also like to hear owls at night. Your gardens are very productive due to all the care you give them Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting, Anita. I didn't realize you could grow berries in San Diego. Yes, the mulching, regular watering and attention do help, don't they? I know you spend a lot of time on your garden, too.

      Delete
  3. How exciting - the baby fruits look so very cute! As for the owl - wow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joy. Isn't he beautiful? It will be fun to pick fresh fruit from the garden.

      Delete
  4. I bet the lemon blossom smells incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cherie, They were so fragrant. Now there are tiny lemons all over the bush. The hummingbirds helped pollinate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww how lovely to see the owl.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, Isn't he gorgeous? I will post photos of the owlettes.

      Delete