Thursday, May 18, 2023

Palm Springs: A Special Show at The Purple Room

  

A couple of weekends ago I took a last-minute trip to Palm Springs to see Tommy Tune and Lucie Arnaz doing a talk at The Purple Room.  Although the show was sold out, I phoned the box office and left a message.  I let them know that I had toured with Tommy and Lucie in "My One and Only," and asked if there was any standing room available.  

Within a few minutes, I received a call back.  The woman was very helpful and friendly.  She told me that they do get cancelations, and she would let me know.  She called me back shortly, excited to tell me she had received one!  Thrilled, I grabbed the latest available table. ( It's a supper club.)  I paid for my show ticket over the phone.

I had to shower and dress in twenty minutes in order to leave by 2:00 p.m.  I fed the dogs early, put on some quick make-up, chose a vintage gown from my closet, and began the two and a half to three-hour drive.  With very little traffic, I was in downtown Palm Springs by 4:30 p.m.  

It was easy to park, and a quick walk to the entrance of The Purple Room.  The dinner was excellent.  I selected the steak and potato.  The green salad with berries was fantastic, and the raspberry moscato tasted expensive and divine.  I ordered a foamy cappuccino for dessert.  I really enjoyed the performance.  I ran into Tommy's partner, Peter, meandering through the tables before the show.  He invited me to come back to see them in the lobby after the curtain dropped.   It was emotional and special to chat with Master Tune for a few minutes.  "Stephenie!  You always just appear!" he exclaimed.   Tommy gifted each of us one of these gorgeous purple signed prints.  I cherish mine; his artwork is so poignant.  

I didn't have time to arrange a sitter for the dogs, so I made the reverse trip back home to the cottage.  Next time, I will stay up at the cabin.  It's on the way, and only an hour and a half from Palm Springs.  Now I know.  Palm Springs has wonderful history, it's filled with retired entertainers, and has a show business feel that I love.  The audience was very theatrical.  Can't wait to return...

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you were able to get a last minute cancellation and attend the show! It must have been great to reconnect with old friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. It was a wonderful evening. I really appreciate The Purple Room calling me about the opening last minute. It was such a treat to see them.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the unplanned events are the most fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cherie. I was relieved that there wasn't any traffic. That drive can take much longer, depending on the circumstances.

      Delete
  3. So good that you were able to get a last minute cancellation :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I was really pleased. I didn't expect one, but it happened, lucky for me...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It was. Thank you. I always enjoy Palm Springs. It has a special vibe.

      Delete