Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Safe and Sound in California After Hurricane Hilary

 


Thank you for all the messages inquiring about my welfare after the recent storm in Southern California.  Fortunately, I had gone to the grocery store a couple days before it hit. I stocked up on dog food, fruit, vegetables, staples and supplies.  I am so glad that I did, because Highway 2 is now closed with four feet of mud piled high, and other damage from the wash.  It rained over twelve inches in 24 hours in Wrightwood!  It just was a constant downpour.  I have four spouts that drain from my upstairs balcony to the deck.  Through the sliding glass door it looked like a faucet was on all day.  

Fortunately, the cabin and land fared very well.  The man who built and designed it was from Germany, and a true master.  He really knew what he was doing.  I am so glad that I had the oaks and pines trimmed three weeks ago, as well as getting the cabin stained last year.  I had picked up all the spare branches in the yard, trimmed the lilacs, and carted all of the trash and green waste to the dump last week.   Preparation makes such a difference.

The cottage also withstood the storm.  Thank goodness LA County came to our street and did major flood control in the right of way last year.  The water flowed down our block to the storm drain into the wash, instead of pooling in my driveway and seeping under my front door, like it had done in the past.  I was so relieved to come home to dry carpet.  We had about six inches of rain down here.  The fruit trees look happy and healthy.

How about you? Have you experienced any extreme weather lately?  It sure helps having a stockpile, and staying up on home and yard maintenance. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



18 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you fared well during the storm and both places were undamaged. Yes, it helps to be fully prepared at all times, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps, Bless. We never know exactly what's coming, but if you have the basics, you can be comfortable at home.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness you are a very organised person. I'm relieved to hear that you're OK. The weather extremes are crazy all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. Yes, we are living in intense times. The mulch and mature trees also helped to anchor the soil.

      Delete
  3. We received 2.5 inches of rain down here with very few high wind gusts. The mountains sure did take a hit from the storm. No damage here, but some lots of debris all over the roads from the trees. The plants sure loved all the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lack of wind made it feel much safer and more mild where i live. Our roads were blocked in places, too. Glad to hear you were safe during the storm.

      Delete
  4. You are smart, with both your homes. Our nearby state park has a little (newer) cabin as their camp store. I would love to have one as our home. It is especially pretty at Christmas time when they put in a decorated tree. You are lucky to find one so well-built. Glad you are safe and the storm is over. I enjoyed your last few posts also. I now make sure I close/lock my small bathroom window when I'm away or asleep! andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know, Andrea. I learned from his story, too. It's very common for criminals to enter homes through unlocked windows. The cabin has bars on the windows. I think the builder really understood living in the woods and knew how to prepare for wildlife and storms. Glad you are staying safe and secure.

      Delete
  5. I was going to comment on your dishes but hit the Publish button too soon! Are they Polish pottery? They are very pretty. I found a wonderful shop in Gettysburg PA that sold only Polish pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. I didn't see your first comment. Yes, they are Polish pottery. I bought them piece by piece at T.J. Maxx. I saw some some gorgeous ones at a shop in Junaeu, Alaska, too.

      Delete
  6. Pleased all is well after the hurricane.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lowcarb. Me, too. We were very fortunate.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad all is safe and sound after the hurricane. It sounds like you were well prepared. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. It sure makes a difference to do all that you can while the weather is sunny.

      Delete
  8. So happy that you are safe. That was quite a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh. Such a big thing to have happened. So good that you are so practical, and seem to always be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, swami. It's so critical to have a stockpile of food and supplies when you live up in the mountains.

      Delete