Thursday, June 3, 2021

Replacing the Faucets and Hot Water Heater

 


Today I replaced the kitchen faucet and hot water heater.  I decided to buy a Bradford brand for the water heater, since they are the best quality, and last the longest.  I asked the plumber to choose a faucet that he thought would be well made, durable, and not need to be replaced quickly.  I would rather spend more money up front on excellent materials, than have to pay for another visit from a plumber, and all of the other expenses of replacing something that isn't well made.

The first thing I did was take a bath, then did a load of laundry.  The sun is hot, and it is drying the clothes and towels quickly on the line.  I stopped at a local fruit stand yesterday, and picked up some fresh blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  They are so sweet and delicious.  My rhubarb is nearly ready to harvest.  I am slowly reaching my goal of having enough fruit from my trees to feed myself all year.  There are still blood oranges in the bins of my fridge.  The last harvest was huge!  They keep well, too.

The birds started to peck at the apricots on my tree before I got to them, so I stripped the tree, and placed the fruit carefully on the kitchen counter.  In just one day, the apricots had gotten soft and turned sweet.  They are such a delicious fruit, and grow so easily in California.  I love their flavor.

It's time to polish the furniture and clean my washing machine.  The older I get, the more I see that less clutter makes your life easier and happier.

14 comments:

  1. I'm going to write down the brand name of your water heater. I didn't know about that brand. You are very wise to spend money for quality material. I think of it as an investment. In the long run, it saves both money and time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent brand, Nil. All of the plumbers I've spoken to have raved about the quality. I agree with you about saving money and time.

      Delete
  2. We had to replace our water heater and 2 faucets over the last few months. It is always best to spend a bit more money for good quality items. And to pay for professional installation! I am now harvesting lots of blueberries from my single bush that is in a big pot. Only 6 raspberries so far, but there are lots of little berries on the canes. Raspberry canes also are in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Anita. It sure does make a difference to have a talented professional do the work, and to buy the best quality products. Enjoy those berries!

      Delete
  3. I bet that fruit tastes far nicer than anything sold in a supermarket. I've just bought five fruit trees but it will be a few years before I can expect even a small crop. I too have found how liberating lack of clutter is and am busy giving stuff away left right and centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes amazing, Cherie. I especially love the apricots. Not having clutter is extremely liberating. It makes the house seem so much bigger!

      Delete
  4. Apricots! Yum! That's wonderful that you are nearing your goal of being able to grow all the fruit you need for a year! You are wise to go with the best you can afford - pays off in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Bless. It's so rewarding to eat the home grown fruit year round. I just planted some squash and vegetables. I hope the rabbits don't decimate them. Hope your garden is doing well.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree about clutter, calmness and happiness. I flatted in a house for 2 years with someone who turned out to be a compulsive secret buyer of trashy stuff. It over took the house and my life. Ever since then, I've kept an eye on my own belongings and I do drop-offs to the charity shops - often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does that, ratnamurti. It's the worst feeling. The same thing can happen in a neighborhood. That's wise of you to drop things off at charities regularly.

      Delete
  6. A job well done and it should last a long time. The weather has been warm and sunny here too, so it's been perfect for getting the washing dry. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jules. I love how fast the laundry dries in the hot, sunny weather.

      Delete
  7. Good for you getting those replacements. Enjoy your beautiful weather and all that fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mereknits. The new faucets are fabulous!

      Delete