Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Ventured Out to Kayak at Pyramid Lake in California

 Today I drove up the 5 North towards Bakersfield.  I turned off at Smoky Bear exit to  the boat ramp for Pyramid Lake.  I had my Oru Beach kayak in the back seat.  I had stopped off earlier at Big 5 to buy a red life vest and a dry bag.  There were many big rig trucks climbing up the grapevine, which made me nervous.  I took a breath and focused on the water.

The people working at the park were extremely friendly and helpful.  I didn't realize it would cost $20.00 to use the lake with your own kayak, so I was a little short on cash.  Fortunately, the nice lady there  took my  debit card.  

It was windy, and the boat inspector warned me to be careful.  They have a sheriff's station with a boat that patrols the lake.  I carried my kayak to the boat ramp, and set it up.  This was my first time on such a large body of water.  I had been practicing and building up my strength at a smaller lake, near my cabin.  Using that is free, since I have an Adventure Pass.  

This location was much more intimidating.  The lake is huge, and very deep in places.  355 feet, according to my research.  I had read about drownings, so I wanted to be careful and extra cautious.  I met a couple of other kayakers who had rented theirs, and said hello to a fisherman who had a boat with pedals and a motor.  I saw him later as we were leaving.  He is able to transport his small boat in his van by putting the seats down-fascinating!

One of the sheriffs drover up to me on my lunch break and complimented me on my strength.  I don't think they expected someone my size to be able to handle the force of the wind on the water.  We had a great chat.  I used floaties in my kayak to keep it from sinking, in case water got in the boat.  I think I had watched too  many Youtube videos about ominous kayaking accidents.  I wanted to cover all of my bases.  It was warm today, but I think my next investment will be a wet suit for when the water is colder.  It's exciting to discover new places in LA to swim, bike, and paddle. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

12 comments:

  1. Your are so brave, I must admit I would be a little apprehensive in water so deep. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was apprehensive, mm. I stayed fairly close to the shore and the sheriff's station. It is so vast...

      Delete
  2. What an adventure. I looked up Pyramid Lake and that area looks beautiful. I think my sons attended a Boy Scout Camp up that way many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It's just gorgeous! The scenery on the drive is really pretty, too. It's near Gorman.

      Delete
  3. I bet your arms ache after all that rowing but blimey what a great way to exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, my back aches afterwards. It is an amazing workout for the entire upper body. It really makes your muscles cut. I love it!

      Delete
  4. I have driven past Pyramid Lake on my way up to and back from Berkeley! I didn't realize one could go out on the lake! Glad you were able to kayak, there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've driven past it for years, too. Bless. I would rarely see a boat on the water. Apparently, it gets very busy on the weekends. My neighbor used to waterski there. It's a gorgeous day trip.

      Delete
  5. I agree with mamasmercantile. You are very brave. I would be so scared to kayak in a deep lake like that.
    Looking forward to reading more of your adventures, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. I was glad that I had my life vest, and the floaties in my kayak. Today I hit Marina del Rey...what a fabulous adventure!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful adventure. Glad you were able to handle the bigger lake.

    ReplyDelete