Monday, June 28, 2021

Ventured Out to Ventura Harbor

 Today I packed a lunch and drove out to Ventura Beach with Lula.  I found a parking spot in the residential area near the pier.  I hooked up Lula to the Walkydog, and we rode along the bike path, admiring the waves and the water.

After crossing under pier, I pulled over to a bench and we sat and watched the surfers.  While Lula snacked on a dog biscuit,  I ate my quesadilla that I had prepared at home and packed in tupperware.  I gave Lula some water, took a few gulps myself,  and then we walked down onto the rocks.   Listening to the ocean and feeling the energy of the sea was hypnotic and calming.

After putting the bike on my bike rack and getting Lula settled into the  backseat of the car, I drove South on the 101 and exited at Telegraph.  From there I found Ventura Harbor.  As I was putting together my Oru Kayak, a skeptical man exiting the boat ramp  eyed me.  "Interesting,"  he commented.  He seemed sarcastic and dubious.  Once the kayak was assembled, I went to the parking lot and retrieved Lula.  

The man was still at the boat ramp.  "That's too much weight," he told me, as I was urging Lula to board.  "It holds 275 pounds," I answered.  His energy shifted.  "Did you design it?" he asked me.  "No," I told him.  "I kayak every day, in a lake," I added.  I could tell that he didn't think I was very experienced.

"It's an incredible design," he admitted.  "It cuts across the water really fast," I told him, enthusiastically.  

"I wish there was some way I could help," he offered, as I coaxed Lula in the boat and clumsily got in with her.  "Thanks!" I said, and pushed off the shore with the paddle.  Lula laid down lazily and rested her head on the edge of the top.  People on the other side of the harbor waved and made a fuss over her and how cute she looked.  She really is like a Disney dog.  We had a fabulous paddle together.  

It's so much easier when Lula is laying down in the kayak than when she is sitting.  If she leans to the side, (which she sometimes does,)  it could cause us to topple. "NO!" I told her sharply when she started to peer over at a fish or something distracting.  I praised her effusively each time she flattened her body on the bottom of the boat.  She got the idea.  It helped that she was tired from running alongside my bicycle, earlier.  One of the girls commented about how relaxed she was.  

We will practice again soon.  A yearly pass is $150.00, and I think it will be well worth it for us.  Today it cost $13.00 to park for the day.  How is your summer going?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun day! I assume that kayaking in the ocean feels different from kayaking in the lake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go out into the ocean, Bless. I stayed in the harbor and paddled around the marina. I would love to go further on a calm day with no wind. (like yesterday.) I don't think I would take Lula, though. The expansiveness of the ocean really is amazing.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an incredible day out, Stephenie, and well worth the cost. Don't you just wish sometimes that men would keep their mouths shut! ;)

    Our Summer is all about house hunting right now but we have been able to spend time in our daughter's garden with the grandchildren in the sunshine. It has been lovely there. There will be no holiday for us this year but our new home will be an adventure!
    Enjoy your own adventures x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, PP. That man's energy felt negative and critical, but I tried to just focus on putting the kayak together. Some people are threatened by innovation. He was very impressed with the design of the kayak, though. It's so much cheaper than a boat. I don't have to worry about the motor, needing help on the ramp, etc. Best of luck with you new home. The garden and grandchildren sound lovely.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever tipped over in the kayak? Do you have to let the kayak completely dry out before storing it for the next trip?

    Sounds like another wonderful adventure for you even with the "mansplaining".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, Anita, but they can capsize. My friend and I rented them in Hamburg, Germany. She didn't have a strong core, and she just started rocking wildly and then flipped over...you have to keep your head and spine centered. Lula has a tendency to lean to the side, watching ducks, etc...The head's the heaviest part of the body, so it needs to stay in the center of the kayak. I wipe any water out of the kayak before folding it. It dries almost instantly in the sun. I also wipe off any sand or dirt on the outside before putting it in the car. Yes, it was a fantastic outing. I have a feeling kayaks will become more and more popular in the future. No storage fees, maintenance, etc. Just simple fun!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a great day, such a shame that the negativity of a by stander upset you. Long may your enthusiasm last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. Some men just aren't used to seeing women out there, enjoying the outdoors. Most of the guys that I meet love it. He did become more polite with time, though. At least we proved him wrong. Some boaters are kind of competitive. It's an expensive hobby. Kayaking is so cheap, easy, and relaxed. No pressure, and very little expense. Gas prices have really gone up here.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like so much fun especially because Lula was with you. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete