Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Lining Up Contractors for Home Repairs

 Yesterday I received a beautiful, hand painted mailbox in the mail that I had ordered for my cottage.  The old one, (which was handmade,) needed to be replaced.    I ordered the replacement on Etsy from TheFlowerPicker@etsy.com.  I knew as soon as I saw her work that she was the artist for me!  The outside looks like a romantic painting.  I love the pastel shades and the exquisite detail.

I have  a representative from a vinyl fence company coming to take measurements to replace my very old and worn wooden fence.  Keeping it painted and repaired has been a hassle.  It's time for a change.  He asked if I want to install a picket fence, but I am going to stick  with the ranch style.   Its suits this area, where the neighbors have horses, chickens, and goats.  It also frames a small home nicely.    Simpler is usually better, I find.   I will have them replace the mailbox post, as well.  

I am also looking into having some masonry done on the outside of the cottage.  The paint tends to peel along the bottom of the house.  I think the stone work would alleviate that; plus I like the look.  I will even get a quote to see how much it will cost to cover the entire house with rocks.  Less work in the future as I age appeals to me.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like your home renovation plans are coming along nicely! I look forward to seeing the new fence and the new mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it all will make such a difference! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of stone on the cottage. It'll look beautiful and possibly insulate it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Cherie. There are few masons nearby that I think would be able to do it.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lot of projects, but there is something to be said for getting it all organized and scheduled that brings it all under control. We had many small, but involved projects done in the house over the last 12 months or so without any real problems. We selected well respected contractors and let them do the jobs we hired them to do. I am eager to read about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. It's wonderful when you can find talented, reliable people.

      Delete
  4. Any chance of a photo - it sounds gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joy. It is. Will take photos once the fence is done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your new mailbox and fence, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. I have to wait a while for the fence. They are busy. It's worth it, though. Plus, they gave me a 15% discount because of the delay.

      Delete
  7. Good luck with your work. I just had a repair person here, I have a list of some things to get done. He can't do my tile work or repair my ceiling, those will have to be done by someone else. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something with a home, isn't there, Mereknits? It's so exciting to get those things done.

      Delete