Thursday, September 9, 2021

Heating Your Cabin With Wood

 


Last week I ordered the new wood burning insert for my fireplace, in brown.  It is being shipped from Colorado, and will arrive this week.  The installation date will depend on the contractor's availability and schedule.  I am so excited!  It's a beautiful looking piece, made in Canada.  Some of the parts are from Ireland.  Both locations get very, very, cold, and the craftsmen there know how to deal with the bitterly chilly weather.  

Many of you have been asking me to post photos of my home and possessions.  I'm sorry, but I don't reveal information about my whereabouts, schedule, or what I have recently purchased.  I have a friend who documented his move from Las Vegas to Canada on Facebook.   He had been very successful in show business, bought a house, and had furnished it with beautiful things.  He carefully  packed up all of his possessions, rented a U-Haul, and headed back home to help his mother.  He woke up at a motel in Utah to find that someone had stolen the entire U-Haul.  They had unhooked it from his SUV, (which he had also shown us, online.)  Nearly everything he owned was gone.  He had to go and buy socks and underwear at Walmart.  

I felt sick when reading his news.  Often people assume it is just friends reading their posts, but police have found that this is one of of the most common way thieves steal.  They follow your Facebook or blog posts.  People upload photos of their homes, their prized new purchases, and their vacation plans.  It makes it very easy for criminals to break into your house when you are out of town.

During times like this, we really have to be aware.  No one wants to be negative, but we do have to be realistic and mature.  Some things are better kept private, in my opinion.  Many of our blogs attract international audiences.  Mine has  readers from countries that I never even knew existed.  Networks can be vast.  It's better not to advertise certain things, in my opinion.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

14 comments:

  1. You make some valid points. I keep current family photos out of my social media, most of the time. If I had young children I wouldn't post their photos. And definitely do not post in advance about vacations. My friend once posted she was travelling to Hawaii and posted "for potential thieves, my husband will be staying at the house and you don't want to rile him up." That was smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra, People get excited and post while they are away...it's better to wait until you are back home. I don't even post vacation photos anymore, because it can cause envy. Society has really changed.

      Delete
  2. I understand your concerns Stephenie.

    I've read how sometimes thieves learn about people's vacation plans by reading their social media posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. Oh, yes. Showing what you have in your home can be a real mistake. (especially with the police situation the way it is now.) Some people are really brazen.

      Delete
  3. You have a point there, Stephenie, about maintaining privacy! Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Bless. Today the cameras are being installed.

      Delete
  4. I think it's possibly different when you live alone. I don't mind sharing photos of my home. We have security cameras/house alarm system and a great neighbourhood watch scheme. I think nowadays people just ignore house alarms that go off but not where we live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it depends on your personal situation, Cherie. I also have been reading a lot of news, which makes me more cautious.

      Delete
  5. You'll be good and toasty this winter :)
    I think you are very wise, Stephenie. For various reason I am careful about how much I post online. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. It can be easy to just post everything, and not realize who is reading what you write.

      Delete
  6. I agree Stephenie. Some things are best kept private online. I do mention a few of my family on my lifestyle blog, usually not by name, and do not post photos of them. I also know that they do not want to have their lives splashed about online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, ratnamurti. Some things are best kept private.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like the wood burner will be just the thing for toasting your toes during the winter. My grandparents had one installed in their front room in their home in the Eastern Sierra and it really did keep the house warm. I agree about social media and privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what I'm thinking, Anita. I love the feel, smell, and ambiance of wood heat. I am really looking forward to this winter.

    ReplyDelete