Saturday, November 20, 2021

Back From New York!

 


                                                          Eileen Casey and I 

Last week I flew to New York for a get together with some dancers that I worked with in the First National Tour of the hit Broadway show, "My One and Only."  Tommy Tune and Lucie Arnaz were the stars.  Stephanie Zimbalist was our leading lady on the Second National Tour.  It was a last minute decision, and I quickly arranged care for Lula,  a flight to JFK, and a room at Casablanca Hotel, on West 47th Street in Manhattan.  

Everything came together, and I got a great deal on my flight through my travel agent, Deanna.  She works at Altour Travel in Santa Clarita.  She quickly found me an aisle seat on Delta.  I love that airline; they are my first choice. 


                            With old friends Colly Carver and Eileen Casey at Casablanca Hotel

I just had two carry on bags, so it was quick and easy to board.   Once we arrived, I didn't have to go downstairs to baggage claim.  There was a taxi cab station near the exit, and the attendant there showed me where to stand for the next available car.  They were all lined up in their yellow sedans, waiting.  

 LAX  had been mobbed!  I was shocked at how many people  were at the airport.  To eat at Barny's Beanerie there was a fifty minute wait.  I decided against it.  Even if you just wanted a coffee or bottle of water from Starbucks, the line snaked down the hall with at least  twenty people.  The travel industry looks to be back in full swing to me. 

It was an exciting trip, and I loved getting together with my old gypsy friends.  We sat by the fire and talked for hours.  The hotel allowed us to order food from the Italian restaurant next door, and we ate it in their private cafe, by the fire.  We were the only ones there, and it was very warm, relaxed and comfortable. My bedroom was clean, comfortable and quiet.  What a lovely trip.  Have you flown yet?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely trip! We flew to the coast in September for our son's wedding and it was still very quiet. Travel in Canada is still not in full swing. Maybe by Spring.

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Chy. Thank you. I heard on the radio yesterday that some travel restrictions in Canada are going to be lifted.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous trip! Its great to catchup with friends you haven't seen for a long time, isn't it. No, G and I haven't flown for a very long time and no longer have valid passports. I never actually enjoyed flying and would find the whole, booking and paperwork online system very daunting now. I really enjoy reading about your trips though, Stephenie, you have had and still are having an incredibly exciting life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. The booking is very different now. I had to ask an agent at the airport to help me with printing my boarding pass. They have machines near the entrance where you insert your Real ID.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful trip. The hotel looks wonderful-so warm and inviting. The few trips Steve and I have taken this year have all gone off without a hitch. Having a good travel agent is a blessing. Welcome home and I am looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It was, thanks. The hotel was superb. I loved hanging out in that room on the second floor. I didn't have to go into crowded restaurants. I look forward to hearing more about your travels, too. San Francisco sounded fantastic!

      Delete
  4. How lovely to be able to meet up with old friends! Sounds like you had a really good visit! :) No, I have not flown in years! I think the last time I flew was about 7 years ago! I drove up to Berkeley a few times after that, but, not in the past 5 years! People don't believe me when I tell them what a homebody I am! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Bless. Flying is so different now. I understand about being a homebody. It was exciting to see so many old friends, though.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a lot of fun!
    I recently just came back from a trip too. I went over to visit a friend in PA, and you are right LAX is insanely crowded. I never sit down to eat at any restaurant. If I need to grab something to eat I always grab from the convenience store or a coffee shop (not starbucks or coffee bean)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed your trip, Kari. I made coffee at home in my French press before I left. I used to arrive super early and then had a meal at a restaurant, but not this time.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely break from everyday life. I'm glad you had such a delightful time. xx

    ReplyDelete