Saturday, January 15, 2022

Kayaking With Your Dog Not Recommended

 


Yesterday I decided to take Jacques kayaking.  He has been so obedient that I thought he had the perfect temperament to sit quietly.  I imagined us as a team as I paddled.  He could gaze peacefully ahead as we skimmed along the water together. (like in the advertisment.) 

What happened was a different story.  After lugging my supplies to the water, and unfolding and setting up my Oru, a woman with a small, hyperactive, dog that was running loose appeared.   Jacques wanted to play with him. "No!" I told him sharply.  I pulled Jacques towards me and explained to her that I was trying him out in the kayak for the first time.  I hoped she would make some attempt to contain her dog, who ran right up to us.  "He's fine," she told me.  I could feel this wasn't going well.  

I coaxed Jacques into the kayak.  It started to rock.  I eased myself onto the seat, and he started to panic.  The kayak flipped to the left, and he was immediately in the water, upset and frightened.  The woman watched us, floundering.   Somehow the boat tipped me out of it to the right, and I was swimming, fully clothed, while frantically pushing the boat back to shore.  The leash was underneath us, Jacques was still on the choke chain, and my olive sundress was now soaking wet,  the lower half floating beside me in the water.

Fortunately, we were right near the shoreline.  It had a sudden and extreme drop off, which I hadn't anticipated.  Conditions are different this time of year.  The tide was much further out than normal.

I dragged the kayak back onto the sand, walked Jacques back to the car, and put him in the backseat.  I pretended like it was perfectly normal for a woman in her late fifties to be walking her dog in a sopping wet, olive green, flowered sun dress.  (Which was now trailing down to my ankles.)

I returned to the kayak, relieved that I had underdressed a leopard print one piece bathing suit, tied the drenched dress to my storage area, and paddled out through the marina.  I admired the boats, enjoyed the calm water and lack of people, and ate my lunch in one of the picturesque canals.  

Neither Lula nor Jacques have done well in the kayak.  It seems very dangerous to me.  The balance is too tricky.  You really need to keep your weight centered, to avoid tipping.  Your head has to be over your navel.  A moving dog will cause you to topple.  It's very disorienting, and your kayak could capsize.  I had my Oru floaties tucked into position, which I think helped.  I was also wearing a snug fitting life vest.  My plan was to just sit in the kayak, in the shallow end, to get Jackques acclimated, but it didn't work.  

All's well that ends well. 

12 comments:

  1. Hi,luckily for you and dog all finished well,greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nowe, Yes, we were very fortunate. Greetings to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad nothing really bad happened. Maybe leave the dogs at home, next time you go kayaking. Even if your dogs are well behaved, you have no idea who else's dog(s) might be out there and what they might do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Bless. I'm still training him, and having all of that going on at the same time was way too much, too soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness.Thank heavens you are both ok, I've seen videos of dogs in boats and never given it a thought before. I'll have a lot more admiration for them next time I see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Cherie. I think if you start them as small puppies, they can learn to stay still. He's a large breed, and full of energy and excitement. Have been running him along my bicycle on the Walkydog, instead.

      Delete
  5. What an adventure. I am glad to read all ended well. Was this incident yesterday? I ask because of the tsunami which may have explained why the tide was so far out. From what I understand prior to the tsunami wave coming in the tide pulls back abnormally far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, No, it was last week. I think the coming tsunami was a big part of the tide being in that position. Such a difference than normal at that time.

      Delete
  6. That must have been rather frightening and probably not an experience you would want to repeat. Thank heavens you are both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, PP. It was a real lesson. The kayak is very lightweight. Great for carrying, but not for having a large dog who is jumpy and nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad your kayaking adventure ended well. I have never kayaked myself and can't even imagine how to do it well. Maybe get Jacques used to sitting in the kayak on the shore, then in shallow water so you can walk alongside until he finds his sealers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel like it's a wise idea, Christina. I've observed other large dogs out on the ocean, and they whine, jump into the water, swim to the other paddle boarder, etc. Too risky, in my opinion. Maybe in a lake. I'd rather just relax on my own, though.

      Delete