Sunday, March 20, 2022

Living Near the Beach in Retirement

 


My bungalo is thirty miles from the ocean.  Although that sounds far, on the 405 South it is a fast and convenient trip.  (As long as you drive during off peak times.) 

Yesterday I took Jacques to Fisherman's Village, and discovered a new bike path.  It led us into Toe Beach, which is quiet, unpopulated and magnificent.  You could feel how excited everyone was to be there.  From the accents I heard,  it sounded like many of the visitors were tourists from Europe.  They were beautifully dressed and polite. I smiled at the women  I passed while parking my bicycle and entering the public restroom.   I could feel that they perceived I was a local.  I remember the chills I got on my first road trip to Santa Monica beach as a teenager.   I was a babysitter traveling with a family.  I knew then that I intended to live here someday.  

It can be much cheaper to live a short drive from the ocean.  Beach houses are extremely pricey.  There also is the issue of privacy.   I am so glad that I kept my first home for my old age.  It has plenty of parking, is close to the freeway, and is in a perfect area for bicycling.  Our bike paths on the west coast are thrilling.  The weather has been sunny and warm.  How fortunate we are to live in California.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry but links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


19 comments:

  1. California always sounds so warm, sunny and laid back. I bet it's a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe the beach areas perfectly, Cherie. Seeing that wide expanse of blue water just does something healing to everyone. I love living here, always have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds to be beautiful! I know how a little sun here can lift the spirits and don't we all need that right now. God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sunshine is so uplifting, PP. I love the way it makes the water sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about how often you go down to the beach, Stephenie. I haven't been to the beach in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. It is the main reason that I moved to LA. I didn't get there when I was busy working, but now I have the time. It's fantastic, never fails to energize and inspire me.

      Delete
  6. Living by the ocean, I so agree with you that's it's so healing. In Auckland, New Zealand, we are never far from ocean or harbour beaches. I think that we are very privileged to be in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, ratnamurti. Location has a huge effect on our well being. Our choices create our future.

      Delete
  7. It sounds absolutely delightful - I love your entries about your lovely home and the area.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I appreciate this area more and more as I continue to explore it.

      Delete
  8. Toe Beach sounds perfect. I love seeing the tourists come back. Now I think I will arrange a trip to the coast! It is about 5 miles as the crow flies, but about 20 miles to drive to the nearest beach (Del Mar).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really quiet and unpopulated, Anita. I had a picnic there, and watched the waves crashing to the shore. It's a hidden gem. The bike path makes it really exciting.

      Delete
    2. Your upcoming adventures sound perfect, Anita.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, mm. I am so much happier here when I visit the ocean regularly.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Nil. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand your desire to be near the beach in your retirement. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love it. It's a beautiful drive and I feel so fortunate to have the time and energy to go. The beach cruiser is so much fun along the bike path.

      Delete