Thursday, March 10, 2022

The Emotional Climate of Where You Retire

 One thing that is very important when choosing the place you will retire is the thought processes of the people around you.  Many people seek out small towns for their later years, citing the lower cost of living.  But what is the cost on other levels?

Will the locals in that place accept your lifestyle?  Are people open minded?  If you love art and culture, is there an abundance of that in the new place?  Is everyone the same religion?  Will they judge you if you practice yoga, are a Buddhist, or if your family is Jewish?  What if you're not married and you chose not to have children?

My favorite part about retirement is having the time to pursue hobbies.  I am close to fantastic kayaking spots, incredible hiking trails, and have access to live performances.  I love the symphony, museums, Broadway shows, the ballet, and fine restaurants.  I didn't realize how important this would be.  I have always worked with other professional artists in my field.  They are talented, disciplined and successful.  (the creme of the crop.) I still keep in touch with many of these people online and by phone.  We are a tribe.

Another thing to consider is your neighbors.  Are you comfortable where you are?  I have several people on my street who I enjoy chatting with and discussing how our lives are going.  There's an easy, relaxed vibe between us.  I like the familiarity and comfort of being here.  

Often people over fifty sell their homes to move closer to their adult children.  This doesn't always work out for them.  What if the kids get transferred?   There's no going back, once your house has sold.  If you are a private person, a city can give you some anonymity.  This may suit you better than a tiny town with a vigorous rumor mill. Moving is an expensive proposition, and sometimes it's better to stay where you are.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but posts with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the content here, please share it.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  



12 comments:

  1. As always, lots of good points to ponder, Stephenie. I have chosen to stay in my own home after retiring and I have some lovely neighbors; we watch out for each other. But, I am well aware of the fact that it all depends on my health and how able I am to do things for myself as I age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Bless. I have many neighbors I've known for decades, and it's really nice having them. The same with my mail carrier; she is so sweet. It sounds like you are doing very well so far...

      Delete
  2. Lots of good points to be considered. I am so glad that we have made our final move and are happy and settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, mm. I feel the same way. (Although I do keep my options open for the future.)

      Delete
  3. You bring up lots of good points to consider for your retirement years. I love it here in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, Yes, San Diego is a fabulous retirement location. We are so fortunate to own real estate in California.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love a small bungalow with a big garden and would move in a blink if I could find one. Our house is too big for two people and a downsize would be a sensible move sometime soon. Your points are all worth considering when we do move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been kind of nice to have that extra space during lockdown, Cherie. I find I appreciate the extra room up at the cabin, now that I have two large dogs. I hope you find your small bungalo with a big garden. That's what the pink cottage is like, 567 square feet.

      Delete
  6. What you have said is so true.

    My spouse was in the military and we raised our children in the city we now live in. Not a city I would have ever chosen. Our youngest child has just joined our Navy and will be moving to a coastal city. Oldest child is in the Army and based where we live.

    I can see us being here with no family in a few years and too old to move to where we really wanted to be.

    We have a network here but the climate is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi 50, Thanks for reading and for commenting. I hope you meet some like minded people there. It makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely changed my life at age 58. I walked out of an abusive work situation (I was 1/2 owner), with nothing. It had all been taken by my business partners. So, starting up again with nothing meant that retirement at 65 (retirement age here) was not an option. I had to change where I lived, several times. But over these years, I have never, ever, regretted any of it. I get sad when I meet women who are too afraid of losing money, friends, etc, by leaving a bad situation. They never get to know full self respect, and independence. But definitely.... easier before retiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame, ratnamurti. An attorney I know warned me not to borrow money and go into a business with anyone but my parents. I had some SBA loans when I had my studio, but did pay them off after a few years. Each situation is so personal.

    ReplyDelete