Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Weeding in the Woods


 I'm sorry I haven't blogged in a while.  I have been busy with repairs and responsibilities.  As you can see, Jacques has grown.  His bark has deepened and he is maturing.  A natural  guardian and protector, he brings a sense of safety and security to our home.    I wrap his leash around my waist and he joins me as I do my chores on the mountain.  The monks of New Skete recommend training German Shepherds this way.  The dogs get used to being right at your side, and will stay there off leash in time.

I bought a new electric weed whacker that runs off of a cartridge.  Each day I have been removing the tall weeds and grasses.  I plan to turn the leaves into the soil to help keep it rich.  We are experiencing a drought in California, so I water sparingly and rely on the natural mulch.  It makes such a difference.  We had a few inches of snow last week, which helped.  It melted very quickly.  

The tulips, daffodils, and irises have been flowering.  Spring is here!  The herbs have returned, as well as the violas, poppies, artichoke plant, and roses.  It's an exciting time in the garden.  Soon the Hollyhocks will unfold their colorful beauty.    

We have had a surge of deaths in LA county from Covid recently.  Over seeven hundred people in the past two weeks.  I'm glad I bought more masks.  I received  my Moderna booster about a week ago.  It made me feel very sick, but I recovered quickly.  How is your health?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but posts with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the entries here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.



12 comments:

  1. I love to see updates on your woodland garden and walks. Did you get Jacques because you felt a bit unsafe or simply because he is gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you. I saw him online at the shelter, and knew he was a perfect fit. I always feel safer with a dog like him. He reads people so well. Lula loves having a friend to play with; they are so compatible.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry the vaccine upset you but glad you're better now. It's worth it, I think - this deaths are shocking.
    Take care and be safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joy. My body reacted very strongly all three times, but I am back to normal now. Much better than being hospitalized or worse with Covid. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  3. Jacques really is growing. I wish more people were serious about training their dogs. We use a mulching mower on our tiny grass patches because I know the clippings are so good for lawn. Healthwise-all is excellent here. Steve and I will get our second booster in June, a few weeks before we leave to visit our youngest son. Never have had any serious issues with any of the vaccines so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, he is huge! I know what you mean. It makes such a difference in the neighborhood when dogs are trained and watched. I leave the clippings from my weed whacker on the ground, too. The soil responds beautifully.

      Delete
  4. It's good that you are keeping the weeds and grasses mowed down, especially around your house. It reduces the fire danger to have the brush cleared. I'm glad you got your booster. Our Covid numbers are a bit crazy, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, there has been another surge. The grass grows back so quickly. I saw a deer on my cameras, grazing at night. It feels good to keep the brush cleared.

      Delete
  5. My body reacted to the 1st pfizzer shot and the booster, but didn't react to the 2nd one, when I took 2000 Vitamin c each day for 5 days prior. But when I got covid, I was just so grateful that I'd had those shots.... it would have been far worse if I hadn't. How wonderful that such a lovely dog as Jacques, is in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is wonderful that we have these vaccines available. I had Covid before anyone knew what it was, and it flattened me. I'm glad you recovered; so many people didn't.

      Delete
  6. It is wonderful to see the signs of spring. It must be beautiful there in the woods at this time of year.
    I'm sorry you were sick after having the vaccine. I consider myself fortunate to have only experienced the mildest case of covid, with no lasting effects. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous up here, Jules. I am happy to hear that you had such a mild case of Covid. Everyone is so different.

    ReplyDelete