Thursday, April 7, 2022

What Hobbies Will You Enjoy in Retirement?

 


Doing the things you love is a huge part of retirement.  If the activities that you enjoy are affordable, that makes it much easier, financially.  Maybe you will take day trips, ride your bicycle, watch movies, or garden.  

Catching up with friends on the phone or Zoom, kayaking, and hiking are healthy and positive ways to spend your time.  I am seeing more and more seniors out on the water during my kayaking trips.  Kayaks are simple to maintain, they don't require  any fuel, (except muscle power,) and they are far cheaper than owning a boat.  You still can get out on the water, pack a lunch and enjoy the lull of the ocean or the stillness of a lake.  Paddle boarding has become extremely popular in Los Angeles, too.  You are out in the sunshine and fresh air, and getting an excellent workout.

If you are a food enthusiast, you might enjoy making delicious meals, baking, and shopping for your favorite foods.  Cooking your own meals saves a great deal of money.  Taking the time to eat well, and prepare fresh salads and vegetables will go a long way, health-wise.  

Do you like to read or write?  Journaling and blogging are rewarding pastimes.  They are a pleasant and relaxing way to spend your time at home.  If you are passionate about knitting or crocheting, having a stash of yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks will come in handy.  I found this to be particularly helpful during the lockdowns we all experienced during the pandemic.  I also ended up with some warm and colorful socks to wear and gift to friends.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much time and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Replies may take a few days to appear, they are moderated.

12 comments:

  1. Before I actually retired, I used to joke with a friend of mine saying I will rent a stall somewhere and sell my handmade items! But, of course, I haven't done that! Instead, I continue to enjoy all the hobbies I used to enjoy while working - knitting, sewing, crocheting, cooking and baking, etc., as and when the mood strikes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That keeps you busy and productive, Bless. I used to sell my hand knits on Etsy. Now I am too busy.

      Delete
  2. People often don't actually stop and think about how they will spend their time during retirement so this is really thought provoking Stephenie. Plans need to be made and hobbies budgeted for as it's so important for our mental health to actually continue to have things that we enjoy doing once we retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Cherie. When people tell me that they think they would be bored in retirement, I realize that my life is so different. I do chores all day long, but really enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. i think many probably pursue their hobbies 7 crafts more when they retire as they have a bit more time to do them, i've been a stay at home mum since kids were babies & didn't go back to work cos of illness, my crafts kept me sane & were a big help with lifting the depression; love knitting & reading, potter out in the gardens & dabble in a bit of crochet
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those things, too, Selina. Cardio really helps to get the endorphins kicking in, too.

      Delete
  4. I have always loved history which morphed into becoming a volunteer at a few local historic adobe homes. I never thought about doing that prior to retirement, but it has become a fulfilling pastime now. We also are fortunate to have excellent health so we can hike several times a week in our local parks and nature reserves as well as travel anytime we feel the desire. Luckily, we live in a perfect climate to garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds ideal, Anita. I'm sure you are excellent with the visitors. I love your area, it's so beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I'll be honest - it never occurred to me to retire. But as the years went on, I became less and less interested in keeping doing the same work load with blogging, yoga teaching, and healing. reduced the classes to 2 a week (zoom) and accepted less healing work. Here in New Zealand, we haven't been able to do much of that anyway. Then, surprisingly, I was encouraged to go online, sharing knowledge - I must admit that it did take a while to say yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a new door opened for you ratnamurti.

      Delete
  6. I hope I will be able to continue all of the pastimes I currently enjoy now, so I try to look after my health to ensure this will be possible. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wise, Jules. I hope you are able to continue all that you enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete