Sunday, May 1, 2022

When Your Dog Food Sickens Your Pet

 Last night I was up with Jacques on ten different trips in the dark to go to the bathroom.  He had horrible diarrhea. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but he was miserable.  He kept panting and pacing in the bedroom.  Normally he sleeps quietly and soundly.  He had an urgent need to get outside to avoid having an accident indoors.  I praised him for being so considerate.  

Each time he woke me, I turned on the outside light, checked for wild animals, and listened to him squirt more liquid onto the bare earth.   I was getting very concerned.  This had started a week ago, and it really escalated last night.  I decided to Google the brand of food that I had bought for him, Iams.   I had even purchased a second bag, in case the first one happened to be a bad batch.

It turns out other pet owners have had the same problem.  Like their dogs, mine didn't express any interest in eating the kibble after feeling sick.  I decided to try Rachel Ray's brand.  They already seem much more energetic, and it's only been a day.  I normally would switch gradually to a new pet food, but not this time.  Whatever was in the last two packages was very toxic.  They acted like they had food poisoning.  (Lula's case was milder.)  She had blood in her stool.  Ugh!  

Hopefully tonight will be peaceful and serene.  They slept most of the day to make up for the rest we all lost last night.  I even nodded off during my Suze Orman podcast.  Quality pet food is so important.  What do you give your pets?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  It may take me a few days to respond; all comments are moderated. 

18 comments:

  1. So sorry to read about your pets having upset stomachs because of the food they ate, Stephenie. I stopped buying Iams after two of my cats died - I didn't realize it might be related to the food they were eating until I read something, somewhere. I now buy Purina - Indoor formula and Kit & Kaboodle; Dancer gets both and the garden cats get Kit &Kaboodle only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad, Bless. I read reviews about other pet getting deathly sick, too. I wish I had known months ago. The old Iams formula was very good, but that was when I was a teenager. I'm so sorry about your cats. They were taking it off the shelves at Tractor Supply.

      Delete
  2. Poor Jacques (and poor you). I hope he's feeling much more rested now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing beautifully, Jules. Thank you. We all caught up on our sleep, thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. That's terrible. Is there anywhere you can complain. Dog food should not make dogs unwell. Poor dogs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joy. I'm going to report the bag number to the FDA. It was scary. Nutrition is so important.

      Delete
  4. Oh no-poor Jacques and Lula. That must have been quite a scare for you. What a relief that it was a simple fix to stop the illness. No pets here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. It is a huge relief to have discovered the problem. I had noticed that their stools were soft for months. I won't wait if it happens again.

      Delete
  5. Pleased to read that your Jacques and Lulu are no longer suffering. I feed my cat raw food and dry kibbles. Very distressing to not know if animals are ill or becoming unwell from their food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, RobynLouise. Great to see you here! The dogs are back to their happy selves with the new food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How upsetting that must have been for you and Jacques. Our wee papillion-pomeranian is really sensitive and had strong allergies to so much food. We now give her raw meat which I buy, frozen, especially suited for her. It's made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found what works, ratnamurti. It's so important to have safe and nutritious food for our babies. Mine are back in full swing.

      Delete
  8. It bothers me so much that a food you trust would make your pet sick! We use Orijen Fit and Trim for our Gracie who is now 9. She loves it and does very well on this food. pleased to hear your pups are back to normal!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanette, Thanks for commenting. That sounds like a European brand. Glad that if is working for Gracie. Yes, I am so relieved that I figured out what was wrong.

      Delete
    2. This food is made in Morinville Alberta Canada. The manufacturer is Champion Petfood. For your info.

      Delete
  9. What an awful experience for you and your pets. Poor things :( We don't have pets here but I think everyone should be able to trust that the food they buy will not makes their pets sick. There is something seriously amiss here. It does need reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saved both bags, PP. I'm going to report their sickness today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stephenie. I always had good luck with Iams, but I haven't bought it for over a year. A couple decades ago I did have another brand that made our dog throw up and later, in the news, it was under suspicion of having something wrong with it. I wrote to the company (back then) and they sent me coupons for more dog food! Exactly what I never wanted to buy after that problem! I think that sometimes problems are hidden from us!

    ReplyDelete