Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Getting Back to Normal in the California Mountains


 The past few days have been a huge relief.  The blizzard finally ended.    This photo above shows how our cars were buried.   After digging mine out, and the huge pile of berm in front of it, I drove into town.  I picked up some dry firewood, fresh fruit, and other staples.  

Today I felt a huge shift.  The roads are plowed, the snow is melting, and I no longer had to shovel for several hours a day.  I finished clearing the deck yesterday, and still need to get the snow off of the upstairs balcony.  At this point, I can't open the screen door, the snow is now up to my waist.  It was at my head's level, initially.

 Yesterday morning I drove down the mountain and deposited my heavy black trash bag at our local dump.  It's the little things that you really appreciate when you have been snowed in at your cabin.  I bought a huge bag of dog food, and some small Lindt chocolate eggs.  What a relief to see our cars again.  I came home and took a luxurious sauna and enjoyed a movie before bed.

How are things with you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

20 comments:

  1. I've never seen that much snow in my entire life. Although it does look beautiful it must be s real nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It's a relief to have it shoveled and plowed, Cherie. I still need to remove it from the side of my house. The sun is melting is right now.

      Delete
  2. Now that's what I call snow!! My goodness, that's an awful lot. Thank goodness it is starting to thaw now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shining sun makes all the difference, Joy. It's gorgeous today.

      Delete
  3. Good news to read you are finally out and about. We will be talking about this winter for years to come here in California. I bet that sauna felt so wonderful after all that heavy exercise. Enjoy those chocolate eggs-you certainly deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, Thank you. The sauna felt amazing and relaxing. Sorry I wasn't able to make our visit. I'm sure you have wonderful weather right now in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza! But the real question, have you built a snowman? 😂 That's a lot of shoveling. Don't your eyes just get hungry for colour with that much white? Glad you are able to get out and about again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it has been, LL. The color is beautiful. Still working on cleanup and preparing for the next storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of snow! Glad it's over. It surely is the simple things in life that give enjoyment! Now you can be cozy in your cabin without worry. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. It is very cozy in the cabin right now. Using the fireplace insert makes such a difference.

      Delete
  8. wow. You are an amazing woman, Stephenie. Glad that things are easing up on the snow front - even though my goodness, it does look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ratnamurti. I plan to buy a pair of snowshoes for the next storm. It is gorgeous...very healing for the trees and forest, too.

      Delete
  9. Oh, my goodness! Not what I picture when I think of California! Glad your spirits are still buoyant, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pipistrello. I learned a lot from this blizzard and am restocking supplies and still doing cleanup work.

      Delete
  10. Glad you are having a break in the weather, Stephenie. There is another storm front in the forecast for later this week, so good idea to be stocked up and ready for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Bless. I've been piling firewood on my porch in preparation. I know that you have a good stockpile.

      Delete
  11. Crikey, that's a whole lot of snow, Stephenie, you have done so well to be organised. It must be a bit of a relief to be able to finally get out more easily and you so deserve your chocolate!! We just had a few centimetres of snow over the last couple of days and everything ground to a halt. Schools were closed as well as some shops. We are NEVER prepared in the UK ....lol... :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, PP. Thank you for the encouragement. Organization and preparation are so important before a storm/blizzard like this was. Many people up in Crestline didn't survive. They had it so much worse. Right now our focus is on firewood and delicious food.

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of snow! I'm relieved you've managed to stay safe and warm. Another situation you have been well prepared for. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. It was such a relief to know that I had found people to replace the deck support beams and concrete blocks, stain the cabin, and repair the chimney. I have an excellent team that does work here for me.

      Delete