Monday, March 13, 2023

Lessons From My Neighbors


 Yesterday I took my Burley Travoy Bike Trailer/Grocery Cart into town, on foot.  I ran into my neighbor and her sister on my way home.  They stood on their porch and we discussed all that we had learned from this blizzard.  Although I saw in the forecast that we would receive at least five feet of snow, I didn't factor in the berm from the snowplow driving down our street.  That made it so much higher.  It was also extremely wide. 

It took us eight days to completely dig out our cars.  That was working several hours a day.  I learned to stop at a set time in the afternoon, take a bath, and rest.  I got in my pajamas early, after taking a hot bath.  You need extra sleep and more carbs when you are shoveling snow all day.

You need to be very strong and fit to survive these types of circumstances.  Several people up in Crestline died.  I knew that was going to happen.  Their situation was far worse.  I think it's wise to practice for emergencies.  You learn where your weak spots are, and what to change for the next time.  

I plan to buy a Jackery battery, store far more firewood inside and on my porch, and keep at least a month's worth of food in the stockpile.  Now I understand why The Red Cross recommends storing canned and dried goods.  I ate several Spam and cheese quesadillas that week.  They tasted amazing.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  Those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

8 comments:

  1. That is a lot of snow out there and there is more to come, according to the forecast! Preparation is the key, isn't it? And being fit enough to shovel all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bless. You have to be extremely fit. It really puts pressure on your heart and cardiovascular system to shovel for so many hours each day. This was taken on March 1st.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my - I guess you could call it an adventure but maybe one you would be happy not to experience.
    Good for you, learning from it and making plans.
    I'm very sorry people have died - that's so sad. Has the thaw really got going now? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joy. Much of that snow has melted. It's a real feeling of accomplishment to dig yourself out and clear the cars, deck, and gas meter. The people up in Crestline had a very serious situation. I felt so badly for them.

      Delete
  3. As awful as the experience has been for you, aren't you relieved that you were not at the cottage during the storm? Would you have been able to get to the cabin through the storm to take care of removing the heavy snow from the deck as well as doing the other maintenance chores to keep the cabin from being damaged? Any danger of flooding from the melting snow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, We were very fortunate, compared to others up in Crestline. I went up early in anticipation of the snow. The weather predicted five feet. No, I would not have been able to get into my parking spaces. I'm just posting the pictures to show the situation.

      Delete
  4. How awfully sad to hear that people died. G and I would find shovelling such heavy falls of snow well beyond our capabilities now. You have done amazingly well Stephenie to be so prepared for the worst weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there were many in the same boat, PP. It's so sad. It took an incredible amount of strength and determination to shovel for so many days. Thank you for the encouragement. I will be even more prepared next time. There were many lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete