Sunday, October 15, 2023

Staying Grounded in Tumultuous Times

 


We are definitely living in tumultuous times.  Watching the news and observing all of the violence and conflict can be depressing.  Staying grounded can help us enjoy each day and get set in healthy routines.

For me, that means getting a good night's sleep and getting up before the sun rises.  I love to watch it slowly come up and peek over the mountains as I sip a mug of French pressed coffee.  The dogs are taken out and fed as the water is boiling.  They climb onto the couch, get comfortable, and take a nap.  The orange flames flicker over the hot coals in the fireplace.  It adds a soothing touch to the atmosphere. 

Making the bed, cooking nutritious meals, and cleaning the cabin all help me to appreciate what I have.  There are so many people in the world right now that don't have the basics.  It's a strange time to be alive.  

Today I plan to mend my winter sweaters and socks, spend some time knitting, and read a library book.  

What are you plans?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

12 comments:

  1. I agree that these are tumultuous times, Stephenie. I like your ideas for staying grounded. I'm doing some laundry today as it is a sunny and warm day and things should dry quickly. I'm looking forward to remaking my bed with freshly washed and dried bed sheets. I'm thinking of doing some sewing, today. It's a nice meditative way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a calming way to spend your afternoon, Bless. Clean sheets always feel so fresh, especially when dried out in the sunshine on the clothesline.

      Delete
  2. This is a very thoughtful, atmospheric, beautiful post. I feel calmer just reading it. Myself and my husband have had Covid for the past week. My son had it too, but has recovered more quickly. We are taking things very easy. It is the first time we have had it and it is just at the level of a cold/mild flu, but it has meant that all of our planned Autumn jobs have had to be put on hold for the time being as we have no energy. Thank goodness for supermarket grocery delivery and kind neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, I'm glad to hear you have the support you need while recovering from Covid. Thank you for the compliments. Hopefully you and your husband will get back your strength soon. Thank you for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post and very true. There are few things that make me happier than quiet living, enjoying my surroundings, and being in nature. I thrive on a daily routine which would bore some people to death. I am knitting an aran afghan now which is a very calming process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's wonderful, Anita. Knitting is so therapeutic. I love how it calms the mind.

      Delete
  4. We do indeed live in internationally challenging times. It's hard to know what one can do except, as you say, to keep oneself grounded and at peace. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Joy. It's a challenge not to slip into depression and negativity.

      Delete
  5. I 100% agree. Without specific routines, I have no direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm nodding my head in agreement. These are such difficult times for so many people. I count my blessings every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Cherie. We are very fortunate to have. My heart goes out to those living in the middle of these conflicts.

      Delete