Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Freeing up Psychological Energy by Preparing for Winter

 


Have you ever noticed that when you take care of chores that are nagging at you, you have more energy?  This week I had my firewood delivered, took my beach cruiser into the shop to be repaired, and lined up Lula's vaccinations.   Phew!  It feels like such a relief.  Most of the firewood is now neatly stacked, and I am carrying loads of what's left up the steps each day.  The snow tires on the red Beetle, and my mechanic just checked the transmission fluid this afternoon.  The oil was recently changed and the tank is full of gas.

As the birds were starting to zing their beaks into my apples, I picked what was left from the trees.  They have made fragrant apple crisp and tart and flavorful unsweetened applesauce.  Wrightwood is filled with several different varieties of apple trees.  It used to be an apple orchard.  Well, part of it did.  Pears grow very well here, too.  I love walking by all of the fruit trees this time of year.  Two different people gave me apples today.  It was an unexpected surprise. 

  I think you really have to enjoy working with contractors if you own a home.  I find it all very rewarding.  The same thing goes with the car.  I so appreciate paying talented people to use their skills and knowledge in areas where I don't have it.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

14 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking pumpkin you have growing there! Sounds like you've been very busy and well prepared for winter! Getting my gas heater checked is on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do the same with my heater, Bless. The photo of the pumpkin is an oldie but goodie.

      Delete
  2. I agree - it is very wearing when things nag away in your mind and such a relief when you get them done. I'm a bit of a procrastinator by nature and I wish I weren't. Well done for getting all those things done and dusted. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something on the list, isn't there, Joy? Today I need to call the electrician because the circuit breaker for the cooktop is slipping.

      Delete
  3. such a good point. I never thought of how my energy is tied up when I have a lot on my mind. It's good to get things done! Enjoyed your post

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is freeing to schedule necessary life events. October is a big month for that type of thing here. Termite inspection-scheduled! Oil change for my car-scheduled! Dental cleaning and checkup-scheduled! Piano tuner-scheduled! I feel so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic, Anita. You sound very organized and prepared. I just ordered sheepskin slippers and beeswax candles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ticking jobs off a list. Sheepskin slippers and scented candles are a must aren't they. Beeswax ones smell of honey and they are so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they both make life so much more comfortable, Cherie.

      Delete
  7. Your post reminded me that I need to check my car's fluid levels and tyre pressure, thank you :) It is Spring here in New Zealand and I have lists of things to do all over my desk, plus lists on my computer. Such is Spring fever! I am very good at making lists and procrastinating! I agree that I do feel so much better as I cross things off as they are completed. I will add work to be done on my car to my lists and fulfil the task tomorrow, weather permitting! Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Rose. It does feel satisfying to tick things off the list and complete tasks.

      Delete
  8. Your post is exactly how I wanted to live. However, Life took me on a different Path which is also very rewarding. I have a giant cleanout on all levels, come Spring. Letting go of the old to make way for the new. My birthday is near the start of Spring, and I feel that this is somehow connected with the urge to clear the decks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you RS. It's amazing how satisfying it is to clear out and clean. I just donated a mountain bike that I wasn't using to the Salvation Army. The best feeling!

    ReplyDelete