Monday, October 23, 2023

Finding New Trails

 


Yesterday I took Jacques on a new trail for our bike ride and hike.  Dogs love adventure, just like people.  He seemed to enjoy the new smells, the majestic views, fresh air, and elevation.  It's a beautiful time of year to explore unknown areas; I want to get out as much as I can before the mountains are covered with snow.  The trails become icy and slippery; I don't venture out up here in the winter months, it's too dangerous. 


We are fortunate to live just a few miles from some of the most magnificent hiking trails in California.  It saves on gas to be able to park the car close to the cabin.  My vehicle gets excellent mileage.  I buy a yearly Adventure Pass, which I can use at most of the hiking trails that we frequent.  The Jeffrey Pines and Oaks are tall and grand.  I love the energy of old trees.  They are so comforting and stable. 


There are numerous campgrounds in our area.  The Pacific Crest Trail has a trail head at this one.  It's a fantastic place to view the fall colors this time of year.  The leaves are turning red, yellow and orange.  Soon the oaks will go dormant.  Raking those dry, brown leaves is on my list of chores this week.

Have you been doing any hiking or walking where you live?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 




14 comments:

  1. That scenery is lovely! There are some nice trails near me, in Griffith Park, etc., but, I'm not much of a hiker. I just stroll around my garden and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is lovely, Bless. What a nice place to stroll.

      Delete
  2. It's not really hiking country round here but there's some nice country lanes to explore. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees and gardens make it scenic and beautiful, Joy.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful spot you live in. My dog likes to get out and explore as well, a good hike with a dog is a wonderful thing. I absolutely love the photo of your cottage with the flowers in front of it, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CJ. Welcome. Hollyhocks are my favorite old-fashioned flower. I love how they reseed and come back every year. Yes, hiking with a dog is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. We have some gorgeous woodland walks here but not really hiking routes within walking distance. I love walking amongst trees. Totally agree about the energy they give off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking amongst the trees, too, Cherie. Forested areas feel so magical and calming.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a very nice, clear day for a hike. Being in nature has such a healing effect on our soul. The trails near our house are natural chaparral and somewhat hilly. Poor Lake Hodges is dry on our side. A new dam needs to be built before they fill the lake back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, Anita. I hope they get that dam built for Lake Hodges. Our lake has been really full this year, because we had so much snow. It's been perfect for kayaking and fishing.

      Delete
  6. I did enjoy your photographs.
    We have some nice local walks and it's always nice to get out and about, especially in good weather.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, Thanks for letting me know. Yes, the weather has been fantastic.

      Delete
  7. There are lots of trails in New Zealand. Some in mountain or glacier areas, but many more in the bush. So special to have these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful, ratnamurti. I love the mountains and the glaciers.

    ReplyDelete