Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Extreme Self Care

 


I was chatting with an eighty-year-old dancer friend of mine recently.  She sounded much happier and more grounded than the last time we had spoken.  I mentioned it, and she explained that she had been practicing extreme self-care.  What a difference that makes.  Nobody around us has to change.  We can improve the quality of your lives through food, exercise, spiritual practices, and small luxuries.  

For me, being outside in nature and high up in the mountains makes me feel happy and at peace.  The views this time of year are spectacular, and there are very few people out on the trails.  It feels so expansive and freeing to meander up and down the paths, studying the trees, the clouds, and the position of the sun.

Yesterday I picked half of the persimmons from my Hachiya Persimmon tree and delivered bags of them to my neighbors.  (I know a few women who love to make persimmon cookies.)  They are always so appreciative this time of year when I bring them to their door.  Persimmons are expensive in the stores.  It is inspiring to pick hundreds of fruits from one standard sized tree.  I plan to plant more fruit trees for the future.  It's so rewarding to have your own supply in the front and backyard.  

What do you do to practice extreme self-care?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  


17 comments:

  1. That is a good question, Stephenie - I don't know if I practice extreme self-care, but, I take time for daily prayer, for regular meditation, for relaxing hobbies, etc. Something to think about. You are very kind to share your fruits with your neighbors. I'm sure they appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds to me like you stay in a relaxed and calm state, Bless. My neighbors love the persimmons. I think everybody appreciates free groceries with prices the way they are right now. I have plenty...it's a very productive tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very aware that I need to practice more self care than I do. You always inspire me with your joy for living well and your positivity, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jules. I think that applies to most women who are taking care of their families. It makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also believe self care is very important. I take advantage of professionals for my hair care and skin care on a routine basis. Yes, it is a luxury. I agree that exploring nature in a quiet manner is also vital to self care. I see so many hikers on our trails with ear buds. I love hearing the birds and the rustling in the bushes. The persimmon harvest sounds wonderful. Did the extra spring rain help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So do I, Anita. I like to hear the sounds of nature while walking and hiking, too. Yes, the rain really helped my roses and fruit trees. I also mulched then with straw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every morning I meet up with my friend for a walk. Then we play five games of rummikub before we separate and go about our day. It starts the day so well and gives me a reason to get up early.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to relearn self care after long sickness, a big operation, and recovery. It definitely does make us feel so much better. It gets one's energy up, I feel. I find also that time alone (I'm an introvert), is the best form of self care, for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a huge difference, ratnamurti. So many people end up getting sick when they put themselves last on the list of caretaking.

      Delete
  9. My self-care routine includes mindfulness meditation and practicing mindfulness, being present in the moment. I am also into Hygge philosophy, the Danish way of focusing on the simple things that make me happy, enjoying the good things in life with my family. I also have a sensory modulation kit which I use if I am feeling a bit stressed. Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's wonderful, Rose. I love Hygge. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  10. I'd not heard the words 'extreme self care' before so I googled them and there is a lot of information, books etc about it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to google it, too, Jan. I first heard the expression when chatting with my friend.

      Delete
  11. I know that I have recently been worrying far too much and not taking care of my mental and physical health. Feeling anxious the whole time affected my sleep and wellbeing. Now I have to get a grip and change for the better. It's hard but I simply have to get back to normal or let life swamp me. I love reading, music and crafting and need to make time for it once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those things are so grounding and entertaining. PP. I think the medical establishment wants us to worry about our health and get all kinds of tests. I only go when something is wrong, and have it fixed. I'm not into regular visits or being monitored.

      Delete