Sunday, December 10, 2023

Learning From Past Journal Entries

 


My neighbor kindly gave me a gift certificate for Hobby Lobby, and I picked out some Grinch kitchen towels and cotton yarn.   have been crocheting some cotton dishcloths with it.  The hand knit ones I had been using for ten years had become frayed and were developing holes.  They last for many years, but not forever.  I find the crocheted patterns last much longer.  The stitches are sturdier.  The knit ones are prettier and more decorative.   Maybe I will make a few of each type.


While going through my paperwork recently, I found a journal from when I first moved up to the cabin.  It was eye opening to read the entries, and to relive what my life challenges were at that time.  Reading your own words from the past is the best way to evaluate the present and the future.  You can see your passions, relationship challenges and joys, and what activities you love.  I still enthusiastically knit, bike, spend time taking care of my home and dogs, and enjoy cooking and baking delicious food.  None of these things cost much money.  They just take time, effort, and discipline.


I also reflected back on the activities, parties, travel, and events that I attended.  It's important to see which ones are worth the money, and which drain your time, energy and bank account.  For example, one of the reunions I attended ended up being with a group of performers that I didn't even really know.  Their main focus was drinking.  I enjoyed my one-on-one time with a few close friends, but wouldn't spend that much on a trip to that part of the country in the future.  That particular city is too expensive, stressful, and crowded.  Hindsight really broadens one's perspective. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

10 comments:

  1. I'd do some of each too - in all ways satisfying. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ys, it is good to read old journal entries (or old blog posts) and see where one was back then and where one is, currently. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bless. It is like seeing a video of yourself. Otherwise, sometimes we forget.

      Delete
  3. I love your truck decoration, Stephenie.
    You've given me the nudge to knit some more kitchen cloths. The ones I bought recently haven't lasted long at all. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. I got it at our local vintage shop. That’s too bad that your dishcloths have worn out quickly. I had good success with some Lion Brand organic cotton yarn that I was given. The densely crocheted ones work best for me. They are thicker and stronger.

      Delete
  4. I never caught on to the journal habit. I sometimes feel the loss. We have decided to pare down our travels and concentrate on going places we really enjoy instead of just going places to say we have been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh, Anita. I know what you mean. I would love to go back to Capri, London, Mallorca, and other parts of Italy.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I think hindsight can broaden one's perspective :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete