Sunday, December 17, 2023

When Women Get Sick at Holiday Time

 I was thinking recently that one of my favorite ballet teachers from England, (she danced with The Royal Ballet,) got sick every year during the Nutcracker.  No wonder, I thought.  There is so much for women to during the Holiday Season.

Yesterday I baked some orange squash that I had purchased last month.  I also broiled a marinated chuck steak from Aldi.   The bottom edge of the squash looked overly ripe, so I cut it off and composted it.  After cutting it in half, placing small pieces of butter on top, and sprinkling it with salt and black pepper, I baked it in the toaster oven for  about an hour.  I eagerly tasted it, and it was dreadful.  It was sour, in spite of the kitchen smelling heavenly.  I thought pumpkins and squash kept well. 



Unfortunately, I swallowed enough to make me violently ill.  I had forgotten what it’s like to throw up everything you have eaten.  Jacques sat next to me, gazing into the toilet bowl.  He was quiet and concerned.  He seemed pensive. He really is like a service dog, highly sensitive and always at my side.

Fortunately, once the supposedly special meal was all out of my system, I recovered very quickly.  It is so easy to take your health for granted.  Another one of my friends had to cancel her Thanksgiving dinner because she became ill.  Maybe we shouldn’t do so much as we get older.  

This afternoonI baked a batch of cranberry lemon scones, and I plan to knit the heel of my grey wool sock.  What are you up to today?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.




19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you got sick from the squash, but glad you recovered! I'm prone to motion sickness so I can "feel" for you. Whenever I've been ill, I recall watching tv with everyone on tv shows looking so well and active and thinking how that seemed so remote to me (at that time!). There is nothing like illness to make one appreciate health.

    I used to always prepare for holidays early with the understanding that sickness could cut preparations short. I think that in the winter and during holidays, especially; illness seems to go around. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I used to get motion sickness, too.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to read that you got sick from eating the squash, Stephenie. I've read that there is something called toxic squash syndrome, caused by eating squash that have been cross pollinated. The squash is supposed to be bitter when that happens, but, maybe your squash turned sour, instead. There have been a few Christmases where I had been very ill and basically, those years, my daughter and I didn't really do anything to celebrate. Good health is not something to be taken for granted, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s for sure, Bless. I have never heard of the cross pollination that you mentioned. It makes sense, with gourds.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Steph, that sounds most unpleasant. I guess they don't keep as well as we think - or that one didn't anyway.
    I hope you're feeling much better again now.

    When I was working, I always wend down with something as soon as the term (or half term) ended and the holiday started. Most annoying. Oddly, for the first couple of years of retirement, I still did, as if my body had got into a habit. Not now though, thankfully. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you were able to stop the pattern of Holiday sickness, Joy. I think it’s common. Hospitals are so busy this time of year. It is a relief to feel healthy and strong.

      Delete
  4. When my children were small it seemed that someone would always come down with a cold or a sickness bug in the run up to Christmas and that I would then catch it just in time for the big day. Of course putting my feet up or getting any rest whatsoever then was completely out of the question. At least now I can get some extra rest if I get sick. My son has severe learning difficulties and autism and requires a lot of care, but he is very caring and understanding when anyone is ill (completely opposite to the autistic stereotype) and my husband is a star. It must be very difficult for anyone battling illness on their own, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son sounds so sweet! Empathy makes all the difference when you are out of commission.

      Delete
  5. That sounds a horrible experience, Stephenie, and one not to be repeated. Someone in our family always becomes ill in the run up to Christmas too. This year it began with hubby catching a horrible cold at work and giving it to me, then last Thursday my Granddaughter was taken into hospital in severe pain with constant vomiting. Several scans, blood tests and an intraveinous drip later, it was declared she had tonsilitis, a high white cell blood count and a urine infection. Three intraveinous antibiotics were given via the drip and she has just been discharged today. I have a feeling that she could have passed a kidney stone too from the symptoms she descibed. Poor little soul feels like a pincushion!
    Have a wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how stressful, PP. I hope everyone is healthy and that your granddaughter has recovered.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your kind comment. She is now home and recovering. Bless you x

      Delete
    3. Hi PP, I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but it said that only team members were allowed. You are missed...

      Delete
  6. Your tummy upset sounds awful. The human body is amazing, isn't it? It knows just how to purge out toxins and bad stuff. I had the same reaction last winter from a bad oyster. Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anita. It is. I had another one of those squashes, which will either get composted or will go out with the green waste.

      Delete
  7. Oh no. How awful to be so poorly. I'm now eyeballing the pumpkin that I grew. It looks fine but I'll be ultra cautious when I do get around to cooking it. Your dog sounds like a wonderful friend bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is, Cherie. He is like a Guardian Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Stephenie, wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year. Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dog sounds like a wonderful friend ...

    Hoping all is well now and you can enjoy the last weekend of 2023, I send good wishes for the coming New Year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is, Jan, thank you. He's so sensitive and concerned.

    ReplyDelete