Monday, January 1, 2024

Avoided an EBay Scam

 This morning I was excited to purchase some Shetland wool that I found at an excellent price on EBay.  When I went to pay, I was rerouted to a streaming site for television shows and movies.  I immediately called the number on the back of my debit card, and reported the fraud.

We canceled the card, and I didn't lose any money.  Tomorrow I will stop by the bank and have a new card reissued.  

I reported the incident to EBay, and hope that I can speak with them and resolve what happened.  You have to be so vigilant these days.  I am relieved that I picked up on it right away, and blocked the transaction.  I still hope to buy that beautiful wool, though.  Right now my account with them is labeled as restricted.  We'll see.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

10 comments:

  1. It is a big worry when you almost get scammed, and that is good you fixed it and didn't lose any money. I have never shopped on eBay, I know people love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra. I have found some excellent deals on yarn there.

      Delete
  2. It's good that you were alert, realized what was happening, and knew what to do (call the card people, report the fraud, cancel the card, etc.) One has to be so vigilant, these days. I hope you'll be able to buy the wool, later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Bless. They usually do a test charge, for a small amount of money. I hope I will, too. Still waiting to hear back from EBay.

      Delete
  3. You are right. We do have to be on alert to potential scams all the time now. It is hard not to be distrustful of everyone and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you get an uneasy feeling, Tracy, it's good to act on it. There are so many ways these people can trick you, even when you are signed in...they had a green banner marked for payment.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rajana. So is yours; thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  5. We do have to be so vigilant. Despite paying for Norton security against scamming, my computer was hacked and I lost microsoft office, which also had the same security. Another time I paid a one-off of seventy dollars for online computer advice, It was taken out of my account each month for a year before I realised. The bank managed to recover a few hundred dollars for me, but now I am mega careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those charges can really add up over time, Ratnamurti. I check my bank accounts daily.

      Delete