Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Retiring in California

 I am very fortunate to be retired in my home state of California.  I always loved Southern California, and knew from age thirteen that I wanted to live here.  We would drive down from San Mateo to visit my grandma when I was little.  I was always shocked at how warm it was in the winter.  That is one of my favorite things about it now.

Burbank Airport and LAX are both a short drive from my home.  The beach is just thirty miles on the freeway, and I have many kayaking spots that are close by and convenient.  Hiking trails are abundant, and the nature is gorgeous!  I am able to grow numerous fruits and vegetables in my front and backyard.

The main reason I was able to retire here is because I purchased a small home when they were cheap.  I chose the tiniest house on the street.  The cottage and neighborhood needed a lot of work, but I put in the time.  Many of the other homeowners fixed up their places, as well.  We are now reaping the rewards.  It also helped to have a set of parents who were both born and raised here.  My mom grew up in Fullerton, and my dad in San Francisco.

How about you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  I will answer each one, personally.


13 comments:

  1. I retired in California too, after working here for 40 years. My hubby and I traveled to many coastal towns in Greece, Maui, Puget Sound and chose our town particularly for its surfing. Your home sounds ideal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Terra. Your travels sound amazing...

      Delete
  2. I, too, have chosen to retire here, in So. Cal. It's been my home state for almost 46 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to live in such a special place, Bless. It helps to keep your home for decades.

      Delete
  3. Hi! I’m so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you again! I have some catching up to do, I see. I enjoy your photos of California, a state I have yet to visit. Glad to see you’re doing well. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney! I found you on one of my old blog posts. Hope you get to visit California in the future.

      Delete
  4. It looks beautiful, Stephenie. Warm places are very appealing to me! You are fortunate that you bought your second home early-on! andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, I am. I love having sunshine available in the winter. It was an excellent investment, especially with Covid and the travel issues that have surfaced.

      Delete
  5. As much as a military brat can be, I am a native of Southern California. It truly is paradise. We have lived in this house for over 30 years now (bought it when it was being built). It fits our lifestyle with a small yard, a wonderful nature preserves out the back door, close enough to the beach and nearby mountain areas. You cannot beat the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds incredible, Anita. I love San Diego. Someday I hope to come see it. Too bad I missed it last year due to the blizzard.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, Stephenie! I've had a wonderful time reading your posts and it seems like we're similar ages and both have replacement hips.
    I love the idea of moving somewhere warm, I've always dreamed of buying a ruined stone cottage in a mountain village on a Greek island (probably Corfu) but sadly Brexit has made that extremely difficult for us Brits. I've only been to the US once, that was a long weekend in Boston back in the 1990s, a wonderful city but it was so cold! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over and for commenting, Vix. I will go back and read more of your posts with a cup of rosemary tea this afternoon. That's too bad that you haven't been able to retire in Corfu, but you never know what will happen!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on retiring in California! I'm sort of retired in WI. You left a comment on my Blog about our little house remodel quite a while ago. I also write on Mulewings blog.
    But you are so right about a small house and retirement. We just purchased a small house in a more urban area for me in the future so I can have public transportation instead of being as remotely rural as we are now.

    I love reading through your posts!

    ReplyDelete