Saturday, December 2, 2023

A Gala Event at The Nutcracker

 


Last Saturday I attended Westside Ballet's The Nutcracker at The Broad Stage Theater in Santa Monica.  I reconnected with old friends from my ballet training days.  We all performed in the Nutcracker together in 1982.  Tessa and Russell went on to become successful actors, and Tresa and I had rewarding dance careers.

It was so much fun to laugh at old stories and to hear their familiar voices again.  Looking in their eyes  and reconnecting made my soul feel grateful and emotional.  We were all students of Yvonne Mounsey and Rosemary Valaire, two incredible master teachers.  I did a videotaped interview about what is was like being a young dancer at Westside before the house opened.   I lived with both ladies, and they were incredible women.  Yvonne was a principal with New York City Ballet, and Rosemary was a principal with The Royal Ballet, in London.  They really shaped us with love and care.

The Gala Event had delicious food, drinks, coffee, desserts, and a stunning atmosphere.  It was beautifully decorated with flowers, a loaded Christmas tree, lights, and a sled for photos.  They plan to hold a few parties like this one each year.  I can't wait for the next one!  

Have you been to any festive holiday celebrations this season?

Thank you for your comments.   They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

9 comments:

  1. You all look wonderful. What a gift you have. In my young childhood dreams, I was a Nutcracker ballerina. (Doesn't every little girl want that?! andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea. Yes, I think many little girls dream of being a ballerina. It is very difficult, but also rewarding and thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely time with some of your old friends.
    I'm afraid I've not been to any festive holiday celebrations, unless you count hosting Thanksgiving dinner for a few good friends. I'm still sheltering at home for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I count that, Bless. Friends are gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been such a wonderful time for you to reconnect with old friends. I haven't seen a performance of the Nutcracker in many years. I have 3 holiday parties in the next 2 weeks-all of which will be very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a lot of fun, Anita. We really enjoyed the Nutcracker. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to meet up with old friends. Tony and I love going to watch Ballet and have a lovely little theatre a short drive away that hosts lovely productions. We're off to a Strauss- winter wonderland concert on Friday. It's sure to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the concert, Cherie. It sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  8. It can be such fun to meet up with old friends and I think at this time of year people do seem to make more effort to do so.
    A nice photograph of you all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete