Monday, September 30, 2024

Update on Fire in Wrightwood, CA

 


Hello Everyone, I am back from my break.  We were evacuated during a terrifying wildfire in early September in Wrightwood, CA.    I had packed up that morning and left with the dogs.  Later that afternoon, I noticed the live cameras at Mountain High looked very smoky.  The air was thick, grey, and dense.  A few minutes later, a woman posted an horrifying video of the mountainside burning like an inferno.  I felt sick with dread.

I messaged a couple of my close neighbors.  One posted video of her family leaving town to stay with in laws.  Most ended up staying in hotels.   The sky was orange and there was just one road open leading out of town, a two lane highway, Highway 2.  I expected pandemonium, but watched my screen as the cars on her videotape exiting slowly and carefully.  There had been many meetings discussing what to do if this ever happened, and now it was happening.  An arsonist was reported and caught.

I had booked a trip from London to Norway and Iceland for the following day.  My friends and neighbors assumed I would cancel it, but I didn’t.  The dogs were safe up at dog camp, and  I couldn’t stop a forest fire.  I received notifications on my iPad all night long  at my hotel in London.  The hiking trails and areas where we picnic and enjoy nature were all burning.  I saw a fire truck and a fireman parked in front of my land on my cameras.  The lights were flashing through the middle of the night.  I saw embers floating around my yard, and caught my breath.  A firefighter was walking through my rose garden and they were calling more fire trucks to the intersection where I live.


I was amazed at how many firefighters and trucks were put on the scene.  Their plan of action was extremely well organized and executed.  Thirty structures did burn.  This is a town of five thousand.  I haven’t really been able to see the damage, because Big Pines Highway and part of Highway 2 is closed.  They stopped the fire very close to my home, on both sides.  All of the preparation guidelines for disasters that are taught by local agencies are so important.  I had renewed my home insurance early, just in case.  We have returned home and I am working on clean up, raking, and trimming back lilac branches.  Everything needed a good watering, and some of the tiny pink roses were still in bloom.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published  If you enjoy the posts here, please share the .  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.





6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I was very concerned about you and your cabin during those horrible fires and was so relieved to hear all appears to be okay. I know about fires, evacuations, and worry from the Witch Creek Fire of 2007 here. We did not know for a week whether or not our house was still standing. Over 1000 homes in our part of the county burned, dozens in our neighborhood. Specific information is so much easier to obtain these days. Lovely pictures of London. Keep those pictures and stories about your trip coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that must have been awful, Anita. Yes, the Internet and my cameras were very helpful. So glad your home survived that fire in 2007.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness that you, your dogs and your property are all safe. It must have been beyond horrific watching all that unfold from afar. It sounds as if all the careful planning for just such an eventuality paid off, despite the worst efforts of a twisted individual bent on causing chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Tracy. It was a nerve wracking time, but out of my control. I had just had the pine needles removed from my roof, and bagged up and loaded some lilac branches to the green waste at our dump.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are safe and your house remained safe. It must've been nerve-wrecking to watch your cameras, but if they were still working, that means they didn't get burned! Good for you taking the trip, using common sense that you can't stop the fire. God Bless our firefighters and it's a shame there are arsonists! Beautiful photos. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Yes, it was a scary situation, but encouraging to see the work and skills of our fire department.

      Delete