Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Gorgeous Costumes from the MGM Grand



When I was home visiting my dad over Christmas, I found some photos from my early days as a professional dancer. These were taken at the MGM Grand Hotel in Reno, Nevada. I was nineteen. This was my very first show. Donn Arden was the director and choreographer. It was a huge spectacular with a live jet, horses, big stars, and glamorous showgirls. I was thrilled to be a part of  it. It really was special.

The costumes were designed by Bill Campbell.  We all loved them. I am so relieved that I found some photos, because I thought they had all been lost in my numerous travels. I have several more that I will post soon.



This one was from Nobb Hill. It was a very elegant number with a huge staircase. I just loved these gowns. They were stunning. You felt so beautiful dancing in a show like this one. All of the cast members were so lovely and talented. It was a very international group. We are all still in touch, and we have reunions. It was like a family. As a little girl who wanted to grow up to be a dancer, my dream really did come true.    

Thank you for your comments. I enjoy reading them. Please share any of the posts on this blog that you like.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. Incredibly talented designers.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Nil. I was so fortunate to get to wear these classics. It was a very happy time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Simple Living. It was a beautiful show.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a first show that was for you...so glad you found these shots. Marvelous!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too, Jill. Thank you. Old photographs are so much fun...

      Delete
  5. Wow-the costumes are wonderful. How heavy was that headpiece? Was it difficult to dance with such an elaborate and tall top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. That one was pretty light. I remember we had to tilt our heads forward slightly, when running up the stairs. I was up at the very top...something like 54 stairs above the stage!

      Delete
  6. Wow...just wow! Simply beautiful Stephenie.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tania. It's fun to look back at these memories.

      Delete