Monday, January 1, 2018

Playing By the Creek as a Child



When I was a little girl, we would often spend weekends up at the ranch in Cordelia, California. My Aunt Mary and her favorite neighbors would usually join us. I was close with Kate, and we would walk to the creek together. We loved wading in the water and catching tadpoles. We would scoop them up into cups, and carefully transfer  them into glass jars. It was fascinating to watch them grow legs. They usually died, unfortunately, which always saddened us. We were hoping to see them transform into  frogs.

We also chased the lizards that ran around the property, and tried to catch them. Usually their tails would fall off, and they would run away from us. I found it incredible that Mother Nature had designed them that way. It really protected them from overly eager children's fingers. By the time we left to go home, it seemed that all of the lizards within a half mile of the ranch no longer had tails. We would spot  them a second time and recognize them by their length, (or lack of it.)

One morning I trapped about ten frogs into a cardboard  box and sneaked them into the car. I went out there early,  before we headed home. When we approached the Bay Bridge, all of the frogs got out of the box and started jumping around in the car. There were six of us riding together in the station wagon. My mother squealed. My dad had to pull over,  carefully catch all of the frogs into his hands, and relocate them into the San Francisco Bay. My dream of having pet frogs was crushed. I never knew if they survived or not.



Country life was very exhilarating and rewarding. We loved spending time in nature and with each other. I really enjoy looking at these old photos and reliving these happy times. Happy New Year!

Thank you for your comments. I am always thrilled to receive them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful memories.
    Your frog story made me laugh. You were brace to catch frogs. My mom would have passed out if she had been in that car. Heheee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. My mom was NOT HAPPY. She was furious, and we had to stop the car on the bridge. It's funny in retrospect.

      Delete
  2. awesome post, yep, country living is the best i reckon too!
    happy new year to you too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it, Selina. There's nothing like being out in nature.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful memories, country life sounded so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going up there was such a treat. I was so sad when they sold it.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Stephenie!

    You always look so genuinely happy in your old photos....what wonderful memories you have.
    Thanks for the frog story!!! The Bay bridge... of all places to have to stop! How kind of your dad to release them into the bay....I'll bet he has a distinctly different memory of that trip from you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jill. I'll have to ask him about it. As kids, we all loved playing outside up at the ranch. It reminded me of the feel of Little House on the Prairie. I felt healed by how expansive and natural it was. Now that area is completely developed. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Jill-your smile must light up every room you enter! The frog story was great. My father was stationed in Hawaii in the early to mid 1960's when I was in elementary school so I grew up outside all the time. Our quarters backed up directly to beach access. It was a great time to be a child! We enrolled our sons into BSA as soon as they were of age (both are Eagle Scouts) and as a result they both have a great appreciation and love of all things outdoor. Here's to a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. Smiles do make a difference. How wonderful that must have been, to live so close to the ocean. Spending time in nature is priceless. It's the first thing that I do when I need to get balanced, emotionally. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. I grew up in the country and I wouldn't trade my childhood of wide open spaces and swimming in creeks and catching yabbies and riding my bike "into town" for quids (as we Aussies say). I live in an outer suburb of a city now and the childhoods I see unfolding around me here are very different. Happy new year to you! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you grew up in the country, Meg. We rode our bikes everywhere, too. It was so much fun. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love visiting with your past. I grew up in the country on a big farm (7,500acres), and had all the space I needed. I miss those days of growing up, but that is what memories are about. More reasons to make them good ones. I still live the country life so I am blessed :)

    Thanks for sharing your childhood days. I don't have many photos from that time.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the photos make my heart sing. How wonderful that you grew up in the country, and still get to live there. I love your garden photos. You have such a green thumb.

      Delete