Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Healthy Daily Habits



Recently I have been reading Deepak Chopra's books. Last night I  listened to him speak about his healing philosophies  on line. I have always resonated with his holistic and Ayurvedic beliefs. He stresses the daily habits of people who are in good health. It's amazing what a difference it makes to eat  nutritious foods, get enough sleep, and to move the body and exercise. Having an enjoyable daily routine is also very grounding and centering.

Each morning I am out of bed by 6:00 a.m. Often I get up much earlier. I am always eager to get started on my blogging and Etsy orders.  I enjoy sitting on the couch with a cup of freshly brewed cafe au lait, writing in my journal, and quietly working on my knitting projects. It's a calming and peaceful way to start the day. I have always loved being up while it is still dark and quiet outside. There's something special and sacred about that time or the day.



Each night I am in bed at 9:00 p.m. I usually do yoga at around 7:00 p.m. I don't have television, so that no longer takes up my time. The deep breathing and yoga postures help me to relax and sleep well. I really
 appreciate the fact that I no longer wake up during the night. When my hips were decaying with osteoarthritis, I used to dread going to sleep. The pain was always worse at night, and it was terribly hard to sleep. When you are tossing and turning, you brain, body, and emotions don't get the healing and rest that they need. I am now sleeping as deeply as I did as a child, and I so appreciate it! The hip replacement surgery has been a Godsend for me.



Exercise is also a huge  part of my daily habits. After eating a healthy breakfast of fruit, nuts, and sometimes a raw egg, I ride my bike with my dog, Lana. She really looks forward to getting out in the fresh air, and running along beside me. She is always eager to get outside in the sunshine. I think she gets the same benefits from regular meals, sleep, and exercise that I do. Animals naturally want to do the things that are healthy. They also love structure and routine.  They always take naps in the sunlight. We are fortunate to live in a cottage and climate that has lots of natural light streaming in through the windows. I air out the cottage each day.  It's uplifting and healing. I always open the curtains and let the light stream in through the windows. Do you have a daily routing for health and fitness?

Thank you for your comments. I read all of them, and greatly appreciate your time and thoughts. Please do not include links in your post. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

8 comments:

  1. You are very disciplined.
    I tend to read until very late. It's not good because when I don't sleep enough I can really feel it. I started doing yoga again, and for now I do it once a week. :)
    Your bedroom looks so calm and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. Once a week will still make a difference. I agree with you about not getting enough sleep. It makes such a difference when you do.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I came here via a comment of yours on Rhonda Hetzel's blog. Your username intrigued me. I love the way you write. Will be checking in often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sreekala, It's great to have you here. Thank you for commenting. Rhonda was my blogging teacher! She is excellent.

      Delete
  3. i am hopeless at doing exercises; these days i don't wake early, have my alarm set for 7:30am brekky by 8am, chooks fed & watered then back up for a coffee & some knitting til it's too muggy to do so. i'm more of a night owl, have always been & trying to change that habit is literally killing me! i try so hard then i just slip back without even noticing i have!
    a good post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, That hot weather is very challenging. I actually get up even earlier in the summer. The heat can really zap your energy. I guess some people are naturally more nocturnal. Getting a good night's sleep makes a huge difference in how we feel, though. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

      Delete
  4. I am a morning person, like you. I love the quietness and the slowness of that time of day. I also recognise my need to go to sleep early, I'm usually in bed by 8:30p.m. and asleep not long after. I read before I go to sleep and I always feel that's such a lovely time to be tucked up in bed with a book. I walk every day, usually long walks several times a week and then a daily walk (or two) with Sir Steve dog. This week, I finished each of my three long walks with a swim in the ocean and I felt truly grateful for that time I had to enjoy that. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds wonderful, Meg. I used to read in bed, too. It was very cozy, and a great mental set up before sleep.

    ReplyDelete