Monday, February 5, 2018

Dressing Up To Go To The Theater


Well, I'm finally back to blogging! It's been a while. I've been catching up on some other areas of life. Lana now needs several baths a week to treat her skin condition. I use a medicated shampoo that makes  huge difference. She doesn't like laying on her bed while she's wet, so she's switched to sneaking up on to my bed! Luckily it's a double, and I have it covered with an old sheet and a towel. Dogs are so clever...

I had my taxes done last week, and received the unexpected news that I will be getting a large refund: $2,700.00! I was thrilled. That money will go right into my emergency fund. It was such a satisfying  feeling. I had put many daily hours into my Etsy shop and blog last year. The net profit was not what I had hoped for, but this refund on my health insurance has made all the difference. In the old days I spent my tax refunds and windfalls. Now I save them. 

I made two new batches of soap recently. One was a Pink Olive Oil Soap, and the other was a batch of Shea Butter Goat's Milk Soap. I had a recent batch of hot processed soap turn out crumbly, so I was a bit hesitant to try again. I'm so glad that I returned to working on the basics. Cold processed soap is easier, in my opinion. It just takes longer to cure.


About a week ago I traveled with a friend to Palm Springs to see Chita and Tune, Just in Time. They were playing at the Mc Callum Theater. We spent the night at a motel, and Lana got to come, too. It had a charming landscaped patio that was perfect for knitting. My friend and I  dressed up for the show, and had a wonderful time. It's so nice to wear your best clothes out to dinner or to the theater. We were invited to attend the cast party afterwards, which was very enjoyable. It brought back memories of being on tour when I was on the road with Broadway shows. We always dressed up for the opening night parties, which were every week.


My mom taught me that dressing well shows respect. I always remember her words when I am going somewhere important. She was always very talented in that area. When I look back at the clothes that she picked for us as children, I really appreciate the eye that she had. You can see the care that she put into choosing the right outfits. She absolutely loved clothes. I do, too. I still wear many of the sweaters that belonged to her when she was alive. She took such excellent care of her things.

 I just found a gorgeous Bob Mackie gown on EBay for a terrific price. I am having the straps shortened, so that it fits perfectly. I will wear it to a reunion that I have coming up for the MGM Grand Hello Hollywood Hello! cast. The gown in the top photo is one that I bought at the Salvation Army for $5.00! What a steal. I was fortunate that it fit like a glove at the time. It no longer does, but maybe I can alter it with some wide elastic and a knit shawl. How are you doing?          

Thank you for your comments. I read all of them, and greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave them. They make blogging much more fun and rewarding. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. 

10 comments:

  1. You look stunning in both dresses. And that dress for $5.00! A great buy indeed.
    Just the other day I was wondering why you haven't written a post lately. I'm glad you are back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I got the black one at T.J. Maxx. It was an excellent price. It's very hard to take off, though. It doesn't have a zipper. I love those bargains. I'm happy to be blogging again. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. How beautiful! Also - way to go on the tax return! What a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lady Locust. It was such a nice surprise. It feels good to build the savings, and add more items to list. I'm working on a new shawl that's lovely. Hope all's well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to have reasons to dress up once in a while to go out to special places or events. Both dresses look gorgeous! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Meg. Looking forward to the event is half the fun! Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  5. I am happy to see you back to blogging. You look lovely in your dresses-such poise! I love the feeling of getting money back after doing the taxes. So much better than writing them a check!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Anita. I was anticipating having to write them a large check this year. Thank you for the compliment. Ballet and yoga help with poise and posture. Wish I could still take ballet...

    ReplyDelete