Monday, February 26, 2018

Letting Go of Perfectionism



Trying to do things perfectly can really rob us of joy and energy. Attempting to please people who demand perfection can be just as frustrating. My father always taught me, "Nobody's perfect." It's so true. We all have faults and failings. In order to find pleasure and inspiration in our activities, we need to enjoy the process, and to accept the fact that we will make mistakes.

I've found the same principal applies to knitting. I recently finished my shawl, after working on it for almost a month. At times I felt frustrated, discouraged, and upset, because I had miscounted my stitches, or dropped a yarn over. I told myself to learn from the errors, and to not become negative about it. The rows at the end were very long, so I just decided to rip back one row a day, and then put the shawl back in my knitting bag. I didn't force myself to work on it for hours at a time. Lace work can be tricky. Sometimes what seems like a simple row will come out a stitch short, and have to be redone. As my knitting teacher says, "It happens."



I am learning also  not to work for or knit for perfectionists. It is too upsetting to spend so much time on something you love, and then be greeted with a list of faults or perceived failings in the project. There's an expression in knitting. The receiver has to be "knit worthy". It's true. It makes such a difference to give a hand knit item to someone who appreciates all of the time, care, and talent that it has taken to make.

I recently sent hand knit socks as gifts to two friends of mine who live on the East Coast. They are both former professional dancers, and they love hand knits. They raved about the quality and took photos to share on Facebook. It was so sweet of them. It really made me feel happy and uplifted.



On the other hand, one time  I happily turned in some hand knits to a local charity for distribution. I had followed the pattern exactly, and spent hours on the finished items. The leader picked apart my work, made a few unkind comments, and then said that she could redo the part that she had criticized. I had followed the instructions from the woman who runs the organization to the letter. Her video online was very clear.

I realized that this was the wrong kind of management style for me, so I made other arrangements for my charity knitting. Some people you just can't please. They will find fault with everything, even excellence. I decided not to let this situation upset me or drain any more of my energy. Making healthier choices, and being aware of who I knit for and with has made me much happier and calmer.  

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. All comments in English, please. Thank you.


14 comments:

  1. Very true - I’ve told my husband, I think some people just aren’t happy unless they are miserable about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to say,"It's very easy to criticize." The thing is, people who receive these items from the charities are not going to be looking for flaws. They will just use them, and hopefully enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you have been going through such a rough patch lately. No doubt, the stress with Lana's care is not helping any either.
    Lady Locust is right, some people really seem to need to be miserable souls to feel centered...I find that extremely peculiar.
    take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad once told me,"Misery loves company." It still makes me chuckle. Thanks for your concern, but things things are also really good right now. The new Labradoodle is filled with love and happiness. She and Lana are very close and compatible. We are taking lots of walks and hikes, and playing with all of their toys. The new shawl is fabulous! Will write a more positive post tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean Stephenie. Sometimes 'good enough' is more than enough. I do try my best when doing things, but I don't aim for perfection. Looking for perfection in everything is a sure way to be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always do my best, too. I found a new place to send the items. I am pleased because the are right on gauge, and knit with the required yarn.

      Delete
  4. perfection is over rated! i used to be mostly perfect in a lot of things, now it's come as they are lol simple living does that to us i think, you slow down & enjoy the activity instead of being on a deadline all the time. my knitting is still close to perfection but i take my time with it & enjoy the process
    yeh about the charity knitting... one of the ladies at craft group was telling me she made all these blankets for the elderly at the nursing homes to help them out & the nurses took them home instead! she was gobbed smacked! that is so wrong but at least they were appreciated.
    it can be frustrating, perhaps find another charity that appreciates the effort of handmades.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's horrible, Selina. You have to be so careful to choose the right people. I have found a new distributor, and feel very happy with the change. They will even reimburse me for postage.

      Delete
  5. I think some people just like to find fault with everyone and everything. They sap your inner strength and are best avoided.
    I love to knit lace and have spent many an hour pulling back a row that has taken ages to complete. When I get fed up with a piece of knitting I simply put it away for a little while and try something a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cherie. I do that, too. I think I will go back to having a pair of basic socks on the needles for when I need a break. Knitting should be relaxing, not stressful.

      Delete
  6. I never understand why some people must criticise, I hope if I’ve only achieved one thing in life, then it’s to teach my children to be kind and for me to treat others with kindness too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and tact is also a nice quality, too. It makes all the difference. Kindness is gold.

      Delete
  7. I liked your scheme of carefully ripping back rows and putting the project away. I get so mad at myself when I have to tear out rows to correct mistakes in my knitting. What a good idea to just undo the rows and not start back to knitting right away while still upset. I had a sad experience with a knitting group many years ago and have not had the desire to go back to a group since. Sometimes you are immediately transported back to Junior High lunch room traumas when someone criticizes your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think criticism should be allowed in knitting groups. I'm sorry you had a negative experience in a yours. I think competitiveness, control, and envy can bring out the worst in people. Your work is amazing. I'm glad that you are still knitting. I completed a charity knit today, and really enjoyed some coffee and podcasts while working on it at home.

    ReplyDelete