Monday, November 4, 2019

A Back Up Phone



I realized yesterday that I still have my very first cell phone.  It was tucked away in my nightstand dresser drawer.  The charger looks brand new.  It still works!  I charged it fully.

I use my dad's bedroom set from when he was a little boy growing up in San Francisco.  I love the wood, and shine it carefully with Old English furniture polish.  That's what my mom always used.


my neighbor's photo of the Tick Fire, when it first started

She ordered this phone for me as a birthday present many years ago.  It was for safety; I had a land line.  She was concerned about me teaching dance and yoga at night.  I think it was so sweet and thoughtful of her.  There is nothing like a mom's concern.  It's designed  for seniors, and I was only in my thirties.

It's funny how it just has the three buttons.  I had forgotten that they used to make them this way.  Who knew that the Smart Phones were coming and all that they would be able to do...Thanks Mom. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 


10 comments:

  1. That's hilarious and great! Can you still get a live operator? As long as the 911 works, but it made me curious with the other two buttons 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can. I have 5 Star, so they also help you if you are lost or in a dangerous situation. 911 is our emergency number, and tow will get you a tow truck if you are stranded.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's so nice that you still have the phone your Mom bought for you! Now you know that you have a back up phone, just in case!

    Wow, that fire got real close, didn't it? I'm glad your homes were spared. I hope it continues to be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's fully charged. I hardly used it in those days. Yes, you should see the other fire photos. I'm glad I was able to flee.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a phone like it. What a great idea. Simple but it does what it needs to do and still works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right, Frugal in Essex. They don't make them anymore. I'm glad I have it.

      Delete
  4. That is one good mom! My first cell phone was a large black,heavy phone, about 10 inches long. Someone stole it out of my car when I was at a school meeting. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a shame, Andrea. I remember my dad having a "car phone" when they first came out; it was so Get Smart. His was larger, too.

      Delete
  5. Your mom sounds like she was ahead of her time to get you an emergency phone. Your bedroom furniture sounds quaint. The picture of the fire is amazingly scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anita, it was really sweet of her. It was a birthday gift, and she paid the $10.00 a month fee for the year. Prices have changed, but it is a cute little white phone. It looks almost vintage now. I have more fire photos. I will post them.

      Delete