Sunday, November 24, 2019

Happy to be Back Home from Europe

the view from my window at Hotel Colon in Barcelona


Yesterday afternoon I arrived back to LAX after taking a gorgeous Mediterranean cruise on NCL.  We went to so many incredible ports: Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples, Rome, Florence, Cannes, and Palma, Mallorca.  It was a magical journey by sea.  Traveling by air now is very different than it used to be.  I found it challenging, but strived to remain positive. I made a concerted effort to focus on the beauty and charm of Europe.

the bedding and wallpaper were exquisite

I had a magnificent room at Hotel Colon.   Imagine my excitement when I pulled open my curtains and saw this view of Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia.  It took my breath away; I spent hours gazing at it and soaking in the majestic energy that it emanates.  What a masterpiece.  I was absolutely thrilled with my good fortune in the positioning of my room.

a carriage in Mallorca, Spain

My flight didn't leave until 6:00 a.m.  To be on the safe side, I had booked an apartment in Barcelona to stay in the night before the cruise, and this luxurious hotel room at Hotel Colon for the night after we got back into port.  I decided to splurge on a boutique hotel, since I love old Europe and the charming buildings and decor.  I was so impressed with the detail, beauty, and impeccable staff there.  It ended up being a highlight of my trip.  I didn't do much outside, since I was exhausted from twelve days of sailing on The Epic and sightseeing.  I did sit on the Hop On Hop Off bus thorough the city.   My room had an espresso maker that was quite impressive.  It was a huge relief to soak in the relaxing bathtub after showering for the last fourteen days.

I will be posting photos and information about the vacation in the next several days.  I had some interesting experiences as a solo traveler.  As always, I was so happy to return home to my affectionate dog, comfortable cottage, and healthy garden.  Today I am making soup, winter tea for a cold that I contacted, and catching up on mail.  I'll also be paying bills online, and catching up on blogs.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.         



20 comments:

  1. Welcome home Stephenie! I'm so glad you had another amazing trip. Hope your cold doesn't last long. Take good care of yourself!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, Yes, it certainly was. I'm feeling better already, thanks. Lots of fresh garlic in the cooking since arriving home...

      Delete
  2. Welcome home! How wonderful! Now you can bask in your memories! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. That's true. It's fun to flip through the photos.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Europe! I can't wait to see more photos and read about your travels, Stephanie. How wonderful to have such a view from your room; I would spend hours looking at it too...Welcome home again. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Yes, it was incredible and unexpected. I had hoped for a view of it, but didn't expect it. I was boggled by the immensity of this treasure. It taught me so much about art and artists.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back
    Have missed your blogs immensely
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Thank you for reading and for commenting on my blog. You made my day!

      Delete
  5. Welcome home, Stephenie, I look forward to seeing your lovely photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PP. I have many of them to share with you all...

      Delete
  6. Welcome home, Stephenie.
    I look forward to reading about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It's fun to write about the adventures overseas.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! Glad you had what sounds like a wonderful trip! Looking forward to reading more about it and seeing the pictures. Hope your cold gets better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Thank you. My cold is so much better already; the trip was fantastic. More photos and blog posts are on the way...

      Delete
  8. Welcome home! Your trip sounds fantastic and I am eager for all the details. I bet sweet Lula was over the moon to see you. Take care of that cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. It was. Of course I was delighted to see Lula. My dog sitters take excellent care of her, but I missed her while I was gone.

      Delete
  9. It's so lovely to see you back, Stephenie. I'm thrilled you've enjoyed your travels and what a fantastic view you had from your hotel room. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Akasha. It was an amazing journey by sea...

      Delete