Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Power of Organization



Being organized increased our energy and our confidence.  When we finish our paperwork, plan our days, and have what we need on hand, we feel stronger and more in control.  Before computers came along, I used to make a list of what I needed to do each day.  I have returned to this practice.  It is such a positive feeling to cross things off  once they are completed.  I like the direction and focus that it gives me.  

When we have loose ends, appliances or gadgets that don't work, or when we can't find something, we lose energy.  Being disorganized can make us feel incapable and forgetful.  I will be so relieved when my new phone from Great Call arrives.  My old one till works, but it's iffy.  I am thankful that it is still functioning, though.

The other night I spilled hot apple cider onto my keyboard pad.  Now several of the keys do not work.  I am blogging at the library today.  I unplugged the keyboard, and am on my way to Best Buy today to replace it.  I should have known better; I have been very lucky with my hot coffee until now.  At least I didn't ruin something more expensive, like the hard drive.  

I have been reconnecting with my neighbors back at the pink cottage.  It is fun to catch up with them, and to hear all of their experiences while I was gone.  I have been here for 23 years, and have made strong connections with many of the people in this area.  I can see now why many older people don't want to move as they age.  I'm glad that I found something in the mountains while I am still in my fifties.  Both places have so many qualities that I appreciate.  The weather down here is so mild, and I can ride the bike all year.  That's a plus.  Do you think you will ever move from where you are now?  What are your plans for the future?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.          

15 comments:

  1. It is very hard to move! We've been here three years and I think it takes that to get used to a new place. I know I can always move back to my old area if I want to, so that helps. Sorry about your keyboard. And glad your new phone will come soon. I'm very regimented with lists...I still use a pen and paper. lol Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Andrea. I love using a pen and paper. I remember things better that way. I found a new keyboard today. It's fabulous! It has all different colors that light up as you type...

      Delete
  2. I love being organized - some days I feel like I'm not and those days are more of a struggle. But the days that do flow because of being organized make me feel so good!

    Yes we will move from where we are eventually. No plans just yet, other than in time, when it all falls in to place, we'd love to buy a little plot of land on our favorite island and build a tiny cottage. We could fly out on weekends and spend time. Once we're retired, at that time, we could sell our properties here and move there full time. OR just fly out more often and spend bigger chunks of time there, while still maintaining relationships and activities here too. Really, the best of both. We'll see how it all unfolds.

    Hope you got a new keyboard and it wasn't too expensive!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dream sounds ideal, Chy. I look forward to reading about how it manifests. The important thing is that you know what you want. Yes, the new keyboard is fantastic. I went to Best Buy, and the price was pretty reasonable.

      Delete
  3. I too thrive using lists. Strong community ties are an asset especially in a day when people don't even know their neighbors' name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am fortunate to have several very kind and friendly neighbors. The kids are so cute. I really enjoy spending time with them.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful photo!

    I'm glad you bought yourself a new keyboard, Stephenie, and have a new phone on its way. Two very important pieces of equipment, these days.

    To be organized - that is what I strive to be! I am a list writer, too. I depend on them, especially when it comes to preparing for prayer gatherings and such. But, I am not always so good about replacing or fixing broken things. You are right - it does affect one in a negative way.

    As for moving - I don't have any plans to move in the near future, but, I am open to moving up north, eventually, if my daughter decides to settle down in the Bay Area. Time will tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I love the new keyboard, and am looking forward to the new phone. Yes, I use both of these things all day, every day! How nice about the Bay Area. I grew up in San Mateo.

      Delete
  5. I love to write lists in a new notebook. Those first few pages just feel special. When I worked in an office I used to write things on tiny 'post it' notes and stick them all around my computer screen in order of importance every morning. I peeled each one off as I dealt with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about new notebooks, Cherie. They hold all sorts of possibilities.

      Delete
  6. I'm a list writer, often using the chalkboard in my kitchen to note my daily chores - I get pleasure from crossing them off as I go through them!
    I do hope to move in the future. I will wait until Lily has finished primary school at least, maybe even secondary. It depends where life takes us in the meanwhile. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have a chalkboard! I love that look. Good luck with the move, if and when you do it.

      Delete
  7. We want to stay in this house until the very end even though it is just the 2 of us in a big house. Moving is something I just don't want to do now that I have remodeled this home to suit my taste. Gardens and yard are just big enough and the tax bill is very reasonable after 27 years! I am also a list keeper, especially this time of year. Lots to do when you are the hostess for family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about designing the remodeling, Anita. It makes all the difference to have the style that you love. That's great that the property taxes are low, too. I'm sure you are a wonderful hostess.

      Delete
  8. We bought into our "vertical community" when I was 32 with the view that this is where we are to stay until we pop our clogs! We were on the younger side of the residents back then and were impressed by the obvious ease of living for all the "oldies" who were and are our neighbours. Unless something really dire were to happen to one of us physically, there's not much in the way of alteration that would need to be done here as we age, if anything. It's quite nice to be settled at a time when many people we know consider their home to be temporary while they chase bigger dreams or plan to downsize further down the track. The modern Western obsession with real estate as a hobby or project has passed us by.

    ReplyDelete