Monday, November 25, 2019

The Magic of Monaco


I have always wanted to visit Monte Carlo and Monaco.  People used to tell me that I looked like Princess Stephanie.  I had seen pictures of this beautiful place where the glamorous actress Grace Kelly lived.  I wondered if someday I would finally get there.


I was thrilled to see it listed on our cruise itinerary on The Norwegian Epic. I immediately loved the charm and beauty of the location.  Everything was so clean.  The buildings are pristine and perfectly cared for; nothing is dirty or rundown.  I didn't see any graffiti.  The plants, buildings, park, sea, and people fit together harmoniously.  It was an inspiring setting to experience.  I felt a sense of wonder and awe.     


I had booked a tour through NCL, our cruise line.  Time was limited, and there was tight traffic getting into the little city.  It's only a mile long.  Our tour guide's name was Pam, and she was very knowledgeable and passionate.  I broke off from the group at one point, and ventured out on my own.  She had already set a meeting point and time for us to return.  She was very clear, and explained how to get back a few times.  That was so helpful.


I found a small shop that sold incredibly delicious pizza.  I bought a slice of pepperoni for just 4 Euros.  It was the most tasty pizza that I have ever eaten!  As I was sitting on the stool,  munching happily, I heard a familiar voice.  Our tour guide was coming down the narrow street, explaining the history of the area to the travelers.  I smiled sheepishly at her and waved.  She giggled and waved back when she recognized me.  I prefer not to be part of a large group when I am overseas.  I like to blend in and people watch.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

  

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What an experience! I love seeing the photos. My youngest son was there with the Coast Guard when they took their tall ship on a "cruise". He was impressed also! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Andrea. How exciting for your son to be able to work there. That's a special opportunity. Our tour guide told us that many people commute in for work, but it's too expensive for them to live in Monaco.

      Delete
  2. I have been to Monaco three times (once during the Grand Prix with my father) and have loved it each time. It never seems to change and I appreciate that. Did you see the gardens of the Palace? They are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, I walked through the gardens on my way back. It was really exquisite. How fantastic that you have been there three times! We were riding in the bus along the racetrack. It was very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it looks absolutely beautiful. I'm with you on breaking off from large groups. The shop fronts being down such narrow alleys is intriguing. Glad you had a good trip and welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. I loved the entire trip, but it is good to be home.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely experience and you get to see so many places in one holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frugal in Essex,

      That's true. It was a wonderful way to travel through Spain, Italy. and Greece. I loved being on the Epic.

      Delete
  6. Looks exquisite
    A real fairytale
    And you do look like Princess S
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Thank you. I agree. There is a fairy tale quality about the place. The artistry is superb.

      Delete
  7. You sound so excited and happy! Glad you are making your travel dreams a reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. It was an amazing trip. I will never forget it. Hope all's well with you.

      Delete
  8. It looks like a beautiful city. Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something special, Nil. I was so impressed.

      Delete
  9. It looks like a lovely place! I am enjoying reading your descriptions and seeing your pictures. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I'm happy to hear that; it was a stunning location.

      Delete
  10. It looks so beautiful, Stephenie. It must have been a dream come true to travel to somewhere you've always wanted to visit. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It was exactly as I had imagined. What a fantastic trip!

      Delete
  11. How lovely to fulfil a dream and have such a wonderful time in a gorgeous place.
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved each place, Meg. It was so exciting to see such gorgeous locations, especially by boat.

      Delete
  12. That looks beautiful. It's wonderful to be in beautiful clean surroundings isn't it. The Bay look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete