Saturday, July 6, 2024

Culture Shock


 Although I absolutely loved the week that I spent in Italy, I have to admit I did struggle with culture shock.  I normally get up at 5:00 a.m. and make coffee.  Where we stayed, breakfast was not served until 8:00 a.m.  I got into the habit of taking an early morning walk, and then relaxing in the sleek bathtub to kill time.


The trip made me acutely aware that I am one of those Americans who eats all day long…I am a grazer.  In Italy, they eat three meals a day.  They don’t snack.   I normally have a second meal at 10:00 a.m. Even as a child in school, I would wolf down a sandwich at my locker during recess.  My mom packed me two  in my lunchbox for that reason.  She understood that I got hungry mid morning, and that was her idea to tide me over until our school’s lunchtime.  I still eat that way.  I prefer to have very little food in my stomach when I sleep.  I also practice yoga before bed.


Lunch at our resort was 1:00 p.m.  I trained myself to eat a heavier breakfast, since my body is not used to having several hours between meals.  I never quite adapted, I just felt like I was overeating.  The food was exceptional, though.


Dinners were looked forward to and revered.   I dressed carefully and put on smoky eye make-up.  An Italian supper felt like three meals to me.   I enjoyed sitting with our group and devoured the delicious pasta, main courses, local wine, and light and tasty desserts. It was a huge adjustment though, since I normally eat three salads a day, several pieces of fruit, and have dinner at 4:00 p.m.  I did my best to go with the flow, and made sure to enjoy and taste everything.  

I felt full for a week upon returning to LA.  I guess the long international flights, extensive layovers, and stress took their toll on my body.  I was sick and weak for several days, though I am normally very healthy.  But, it was all worth it, and I learned that am not as young and invincible as I used to be.  Traveling that far by plane is really not a very natural thing.  I would like to take a transatlantic cruise next year.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I’m sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.






22 comments:

  1. Wow. You have dinner early. I usually have dinner between 7-8 pm.

    When I go to Sri Lanka, it takes about 33 hours including layovers. I feel that as I get older, it is getting harder for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 33 hours, Nil. How exhausting! I think it is much harder to cross time zones by plane as we age. Some people say it helps to stay longer when you vacation. It just costs a lot more money that way.

      Delete
  2. We travel to Spain every winter. Our best lesson learnt has been to upgrade the seats to premium economy for the transatlantic portion. Feel less exhausted when we arrive in Amsterdam or London to catch the connecting flight.

    We pick up fresh fruit to keep for between meals.

    The walking burns off the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it would be helpful, 50 and counting. Travel is very exciting, but for me, it's taxing on the body.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting to compare the meal habits of different cultures, isn't it? Growing up, there was breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch around 1:00 p.m. or a bit later, tea around 5:00 p.m. (there was always something to eat along with a cup of tea), and dinner around 8:00 p.m. These days, I usually have two main meals of the day, brunch and dinner, with a cup of tea in the evening. But, I do tend to snack a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you would never go hungry on that schedule, Bless. I think a lot of it is what we are used to, and our daily habits.

      Delete
  4. I liked to have finished my dinner by seven at the very latest or it sits heavy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Joy. I feel the same way.

      Delete
  5. I really do not like eating in the evening. We usually eat at 5/5.30ish. I don't sleep well if I eat too late. As I get older I increasingly notice that if I have a meal that is too filling at dinner I still feel full the next morning and only need a light breakfast. I don't feel right if I skip breakfast entirely. Different time zones/jet lag etc must play havoc with the body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Tracy. I think that's why many Italians just have a cappuccino and pastry for breakfast. It's a different timing for digestion. Yes, the different time zones really do a number on me, too.

      Delete
  6. I love your photo of the cobbled alleyway.
    Fascinating reflections about the way you eat, Stephenie. I'd never thought about all day grazing being an American thing until you pointed it out. I've always eaten three meals a day and have never snacked inbetween.
    Those long haul flights can really knock your body about, one thing I certainly don't miss about not having visited india since 2020! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. Yes, the long flights with extensive layovers are taxing. Being dropped off at the airport in the morning for a late afternoon flight leaves a lot of time to kill. It's much better than being late, though.

      Delete
  7. You must have a very good metabolism. I broke myself of the snack habit many years ago. It was not easy. We also eat an early dinner-usually 5pm or so. We are early risers here and go to bed before 10pm I love the cobbled alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that neighborhood near our hotel with the cobbled alley. It had so many charming twists and turns. Yes, I do have a fast metabolism. I have worked out what helps me to sleep well as I age. It is very non traditional, but keeps me lean and relaxed. My mom used to say, "I don't like change!" Makes me chuckle now...

      Delete
  8. I have a compromised stomach, the lining is damaged. It gets really upset and over acidic (which makes me exhausted and unwell), if I leave too much time between meals. And if I try and not snack, I tend to overeat, and it makes me feel horrible. I think that you've got it very well worked out for yourself, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about your stomach lining, Ratnamurti. Happy to hear from another snacker. It makes me feel secure...haha! Yes, this routine works very well for me, but it is untraditional, and the opposite of what is lived and taught in Italy. Oh well. Live and learn...

      Delete
  9. I'm a bit of a grazer as well. Stephenie. I like to have my evening meal at around 6 - 6.30pm. Any later and I struggle to sleep.
    I hope you're feeling better now. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. I know what you mean. I do feel better, thanks. The heat has been a challenge. but I am grateful to be retired. Long flights are intense these days. I didn't realize how much harder it would be as I got older.

      Delete
  10. Being vegan by choice and gluten-free by necessity, I often find it difficult to eat out when I travel. In fact, I bring gf instant oatmeal packets with me for breakfast just to be sure to have something to eat. At home, I like to eat 2 meals /day usually starting about 10:30 AM and then eat again around 5:30 for dinner. Of course if hungry I will eat a snack in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it would work well, Judee. I'm sure it is challenging to find what you need when traveling. We ate a lot of gluten in Italy!

      Delete
  11. We've moved our main meal to lunch time and rarely eat after 5pm these days. I don't think I'd sleep if I ate later than that. Glad you embraced the whole experience though. It would be a shame not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was fabulous, Cherie. I told myself I would have no rules as far as diet while there. I loved the food, and am enjoying cooking Mexican food now that I am home. Summer fruits are my favorite.

      Delete