Monday, December 20, 2021

Had the 1950's Cooktop Fixed

 After our power outage up in the mountains, neither my cooktop nor oven was working.   Both are olive green General Electric appliances, from the 1950's.   I studied the reviews for appliance repair online, and   chose a five-star repairman.

The burners immediately turned bright red after he switched on the breakers.  I had tried that, but didn't realize that there was fine print next to each side of each switch.  It has to say "On," and I had only noticed the ones on the right side.  

The oven is still cold.  It needs something simple from an electrician; only one side of it is working.  I was relieved that I didn't have to purchase a new stove or oven.  Both of mine are very small.  The cooktop measures just twenty-six inches.  Everything I researched online is so much bigger.  

He fixed the water dispenser on my Kenmore fridge while he was here.  He had a kit in his truck.  He said that Kenmores are actually Whirlpools.  Once again, I was so pleased to find that I don't need to replace the fridge, either.  Appliances from that era were made to last a lifetime.  

The whole fix was only $250.00!  Phew.  I am so thankful that the previous owners bought quality items and took such good care of them.  How are your appliances running?

12 comments:

  1. Glad you found a good repairman to tend to the cooktop and oven. I have had to replace most of the major appliances; new ones don't last quite as long as those old ones do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Bless. That's for sure. I love the ones I have. They are so well made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great you found a good repairman and those appliances must be great quality to have lasted this long. They really don't make things like they used to. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jules. I am so happy that I kept the old models. They are so reliable and dependable.

      Delete
  4. I think there is new legislation here in the UK (or maybe this applies to the EU only, who knows) now that ensures appliances are built to last longer and can be repaired. We inherited a washing machine from my father in law, which lasted a long time after we had it. Considering I launder for a family of six, it did well but eventually a circuit broke and no repairmen in the world could stop if from boiling the water which was not so good for our garments.... You are lucky to have such a great repairmen in your neighbourhood. I hope your oven is fixed soon. I would love to own a fridge with a water dispenser, how wonderful to have the option to get cooled water on tap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, Christina. I have heard that some of the new appliances in the US only last five years! Ugh. That's too bad about the washer. I am having the oven fixed today. I also have a vintage toaster oven that works fabulously! It's perfect for one person, and saves energy. Yes, the water dispenser is something I love.

      Delete
  5. What a relief that the repairs were so easy and inexpensive. Knock on wood-everything is working just fine here. I also try to take very good care of all our appliances. Getting any snow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Anita. The electrician fixed the oven today, and it only cost $65.00. It's so nice to have everything working again. My heart is filled with happiness. We are expecting more snow. It should be a white Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Older model appliances are great. As you say, built to last. And hope you have a lovely Christmas ...... xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, ratnamurti. Hope you have a lovely Christmas, too.

      Delete