Thursday, December 9, 2021

Staying In Your First Home

 While recently visiting friends in New York, I heard the same refrain... how high the rents had become.  One artist was spending over fifty percent of his paycheck on rent, and he had to get a roommate.  Another told me that she used to be able to pick up take-out food for eight dollars, and now it is far more expensive.  She doesn't cook.  They didn't plan for inflation.

My father warned me many years ago that as you get older, the value of a dollar will shrink.  He remembered buying hot dogs for a nickel, and that sort of thing.  The big cities like San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles are pricey.  

I was fortunate to buy my cottage in a down market for $89,500.  In California, property taxes are one percent of the purchase price.  Back in 1998, that was about $100.00 a month.  Even that was a stretch for me at the time, freelancing as a ballet and yoga teacher.  

Thankfully, I stayed in that little house.  What used to be considered the outskirts of town is now being developed.  Because I planted fruit trees, and amended my soil each year, I am able to grow a significant amount of organic produce.  They are now mature, and loaded with fruit.  That makes a huge difference in my grocery bill.  I buy meat and chicken on sale, and store it in the freezer.  All my meals are cooked at home, and nothing is wasted.  I grow my own herbs and dry them, too.  Staples are bought in bulk to save money.  I am still going through a huge bag of white rice that is in my freezer.

I lived in New York for just one year, in the eighties.  Even back then, I was shocked at how expensive everything was.    I made $375.00 a week teaching dance, and my rent in Astoria was one fourth of my income.  I earned enough money for basics, but not for extras.  My splurge was taking classes.  That was the highlight of my stay there.

We need to plan ahead for our retirement.  Having a paid off home as a senior is a huge relief.  Skyrocketing prices cause so much stress for long term renters and those who live in high cost of living areas.  It's so important to keep your expenses low.  That money that used to go to the landlord can then pay for health insurance, gas, electricity, or groceries.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've made good decisions all along, Stephenie, and planned well for the future. :) Well done! Home prices these days are crazy, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very wise post Stephenie. My son at 27 is already paying into a pension pot so that he will be able to look forward to a comfortable old age. He has a very wise head on his shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent, Cherie. The longer the money is in there, the more it will grow.

      Delete
  3. All so very true. Home prices in our area are soaring to unbelievable heights. Several of our long-term neighbors are selling out and buying new to them homes. While I am happy for them and will miss them, I am somewhat confused about their decisions. Some are moving because they want a one-story house (understandable), but some want bigger houses (none of them have children at home anymore) or more land (none of them are gardeners and their present yards are not well cared for in the least). All are staying in this general area so they are paying a high price for the new place and will have to pay the resulting high property taxes. We will stay here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why, Anita. I think that sometimes people don't factor in how expensive it is to move in California. The property taxes on a new home are astronomical. Not everyone runs the numbers.

      Delete
  4. There's great comfort in owning your home outright. We fully owned our last home and it was fairly cheap to run. Due to having a bad neighbour who made our lives a misery by partying all through the pandemic until the early hours so that we couldn't sleep meant moving home less than 2 years after the last move. We are now in a bungalow in a lovely area but now only own a 60% share. We have to pay rent on the remainder for the rest of our lives. Finances are now stretched to the limit and the rent will increase each year too. I guess that's the price we have to pay for a peaceful life. Maybe we can win the lottery and buy the other 40% I doubt it but one can dream!
    Well done, Stephenie, on your excellent financial planning. You can now reap the benefits. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, PP. I know how difficult it can be to have a neighbor like the one you described. Sometimes code enforcement can help. Housing is such a huge portion of retirement. Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete