Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Snow and a Power Outage

 


Our power went off this morning at 9:00 a.m.  Fortunately, I had gotten up early and made enchiladas.  That gave me a flavorful hot meal for lunch, even though my stove and oven weren't working for part of the day.  I sauteed onions and red peppers, and stuffed them inside the white tortillas with leftover roast chicken.  Topped with enchilada sauce, Tillamook cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro, it made for a very satisfying meal.  It's a strange feeling when the electricity abruptly stops; you don't know when or if it will return. 

We had intense rain and strong winds last night.  The fireplace insert has been doing an excellent job of heating the cabin.  I have to continually feed it with wood.  That entails getting out of my warm bed and padding down the stairs in the middle of the night.  

In the afternoon, layers of warm clothing and hand knit blankets insulate my body heat.  I've been wearing my alpaca hat and woolen mittens inside during the day.  Having long hair also helps with warmth.  

We lost power again for a short while this evening.  Thank goodness I had candles and oil lamps ready.  It can be a shock when the room goes dark.  The tiny Christmas bulbs went out, and the only light was the flickering flames from the fireplace.  It has come back on again; I hope it lasts.  I will make a pot of coffee for tomorrow, just in case.   I guess I could heat the water up over the fire, if needed.  I'm so glad that I stocked up on beeswax candles and lamp oil.  

How is the weather where you live?

18 comments:

  1. My first thought, when I read your post title, was that Stephenie would have been well prepared :)
    Keep warm. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. I was shocked at how pitch black the cabin became when the power went off again in the evening. Now I keep the candles, flashlights, and matches on the table, just in case. It's too stressful to go rummaging through drawers in the dark.

      Delete
  2. We are having very mild weather here at the moment so haven't needed to light the fire. We put the heating on around teatime if it drops below 16 degrees and it goes off when it reaches 16. If we have guests we make it a bit warmer as we know most people like it a lot warmer than we do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I pictured it very damp and cold there, Cherie. I keep my home at a lower temperature than most people, too. Layered hand knits keep me warm.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry the power went off at your cabin, Stephenie. But, it sounds like you are more than prepared for such an event! We had rain, down here, and other than the water heater vent cover getting blown off for the wind, it was OK. Stay warm and keep those candles near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, All's well that ends well. I really was happy that I had prepared food in advance. There is still leftover roast chicken for another casserole. The oven is working today, but my stovetop isn't. Will have to call a repairman.

      Delete
  4. It is mild and dull here. We might get a bit of sunshine but maybe not.
    Hoping your power stays on today.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. Hope you get some sunshine. It's sunny and bright here today. The snow on the trees and mountains looks so clean.

      Delete
  5. Tis always handy to be prepared for such eventualities, the picture is rather atmospheric m'thinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, It is handy, and makes life much more relaxed and comfortable. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  6. It rained most of the day down here. And lots of wind. I need to go outside and check the "official Gnome Rain Gauge" to see just how much rain we had over the last 24 hours. It is really chilly this morning as well. It is so upsetting to lose electric power even if you can manage without it for a bit. Because our lines are underground here, it rarely happens, but I am such a sheep I will still flip the light switch when the room is dark during an outage. Kooky old lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the rest of California, Anita. You are fortunate to have your power lines underground. Most of us do take electricity for granted. I missed my computer, but enjoyed reading a book.

      Delete
  7. There is a certain kind of peace and calmness when the power goes out - well, since you have a fire and can keep relatively warm. If it weren't for food in the fridge/freezer, I think I would like no power most of the time. There are always those things that are better with it though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when it happened it made me realize how much more work life was for people as far as storing food, stoking the fire, etc...I find it peaceful here with the Christmas lights and candles.

      Delete
  8. I find it scary when the lights go out and always have a candle or two to hand along with a battery powered torch. So glad you could stay warm and comfortable during the outage, Stephenie, especially as you have snow. Its been quite mild here today although it's turning cold tonight. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP, I know what you mean. It just goes pitch black, instantly. The previous owner left flashlights in every room, which helps. Nights are much colder here, as well.

      Delete
  9. We have so much snow, I don't even know where we'll shovel it if it snows again! Usually we get this amount in late January, early February. Beautiful but way too much!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that can be overwhelming, Chy. I shovel my driveway, walking paths, and deck. I bought some salt, too.

    ReplyDelete