Monday, December 27, 2021

Mulched the Front Yard to Prevent Flooding

 We have had a significant amount of rain recently.  It is wonderful for the soil and plants, but I live in a flood zone.  If I don't apply straw mulch in my front yard and on my porch, I will end up with a soggy living room carpet.  

After arriving home, I noticed a small patch of wetness by my front door. It concerned me.  I placed towels on it and walked on them to absorb the moisture.  I had to do this several times.  I sprinkled baking soda on the affected area this morning and vacuumed it up eight hours later...I don't want any moldy or musty smells.  

There is always something that needs doing when you own a house.  The straw breaks down over the winter and really nourishes the soil.  It makes the tangerines burst with flavor, and the irises burst into colorful bloom.  

How was your Christmas?  Did you have fun?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. What a good idea to mulch your front garden with straw! I hope your living room doesn't get flooded! You took care of that dampt spot right away! Well done! Yes, we;ve had quite a bit of rain recently, haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure have, Bless. It's been an amazing amount of rain and snow. Wonderful for the soil, trees and plants.

      Delete
  2. Does the straw soak up the water? I've not come across this strategy before.

    I hate that must smell you day from damp too. You seem to have taken prompt and effective actions so fingers crossed.

    I've had a lovely Christmas, thanks. There's one more bean feast - New Year's Eve with Beth and Alex - and then taking the decorations down on Twelfth Night (so sad about that), and that's it for another year - apart from dealing with the festive weight gain. :-) Ho hum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you had a festive Christmas, Joy. I hope that I got to the damp carpet in time. It happened once before, and I was able to nip the damage in the bud.

      Delete
  3. I've just been out to empty our water butt as it had started to overflow and flood the path. My garden in the past was a complete bog but since putting down copious amounts of wood shredding's we can actually walk on it. It's still squishy but doesn't stick to our shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wood shreddings are excellent mulch, aren't they, Cherie? They break down and really nourish the soil.

      Delete
  4. We've had copious amounts of rain here too. Our grass is far too soggy to tread on at the moment. Hope you don't get any flooding, Stephenie, a wet carpet is not nice. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too, PP. Rain is wonderful for the garden and flowers...

      Delete
  5. I have a never ending list of things that need doing on my house. As an older property it can be prone to damp, so I am careful to keep it well heated and ventilated.
    I'm glad you could take quick action to avoid any musty smells. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. I do the same thing. Nights have been really cold here recently.

      Delete
  6. Too bad about your drainage issues. You might want to call in a landscape designer or landscape architect who can divert the water flow away from the house. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may do that, Anita. For now, the straw does the trick. Happy New Year to you, as well.

      Delete
  7. We've had a very wet Summer here where I live,Stephanie. Very spggy underfoot but the gardens are thriving. This is a lovely change from the very hot and dry Summers that we usually have now. It even rained on Xmas Day too!

    We had a simple, happy xmas day with our family where we all contributed something delicious for our shared lunch. For New Year's Eve, we hosted dear friends and all enjoyed different homemade pizzas and icecreams. While the adults all opted to be sleeping as the calendar flipped over to the new year, the younger ones all saw 2022 in together. I think it will take me a while to get used to it being 2022 already!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade pizza and ice cream sounds delicious, Meg. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year, Stephenie!

    I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. Happy New Year to you, too. Hope all is well.

      Delete